Style the Search box

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:34

Style the Search box

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Dec-2010 00:00

Is there a way I can change the template for the search box or at least style it so that the text input and button fit into my site theme? I couldn't seem to find anything in the Settings area that would allow me to set the markup for how the Search box gets displayed. If I have to do it through CSS, can you point me in the direction of the container names? I figured out the button and accessed it using .sfsearchSubmit. I seem to be able to change a couple of attributes of the search text box using .sfsearchTxt such as width, but nothing else seems to work. It almost seems like the search input might be a RadTextBox? Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Philip,

To style the TextBox of the SearchBox control you have to use .sfsearchBox .sfsearchTxt  css selectors. To style the submit button you have to use .sfsearchBox .sfsearchSubmit css selectors.
You can replace the ASP.NET TextBox control that we use only if you create a custom class that inherits from  Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Search.Web.UI.Public. SearchBox and you can override the virtual property SearchTextBox. You have to set a new template of the control by using LayoutTempateName property.

Note: your RadTextBox should have the same ID as the ASP.NET TextBox we use - "searchTextBox"

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

I also need to costumize the searchbox. In order to ensure that i have the correct starting widget template can you send the standar template to the SearchBox widget ?

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Philip,

Here is the default template

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sitefinity" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" %>

<fieldset id="main" class="sfsearchBox" runat="server">
    <asp:TextBox ID="searchTextBox" runat="server" CssClass="sfsearchTxt" />
    <asp:Button  id="searchButton" runat="server" Text="<%$Resources:SearchResources, Search %>" OnClientClick="return false;" CssClass="sfsearchSubmit" />
</fieldset>

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2011 00:00

Hey Ivan, will this template be exposed in the backend soon?

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Philip,

There are plans to expose all template in the backend. However, currently we added SearchResults template to the  "Widget Templates". We will add more templates after the official release.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Mar-2011 00:00

I also need to customize the look of the search box.  I created a custom layout .ascx file where so far I've just tried to replace the button with an image like this:

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sitefinity" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" %>

<fieldset id="main" class="sfsearchBox" runat="server">
    <asp:TextBox ID="searchTextBox" runat="server" CssClass="sfsearchTxt" />
    <asp:image  id="searchButton" src="/App_Themes/LESI/Global/images/btn-search.jpg" runat="server" OnClientClick="return false;" CssClass="sfsearchSubmit" />

</fieldset>

I then found the Search widget in the tool box and I set the LayoutTemplate to point to this file.  You can see this in the image attached to this post.

But the search box isn't changing.  It still looks just like the original widget.  What am I doing wrong?

-Orion

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Mar-2011 00:00

Is there a guide somewhere that shows step by step how to do this?

Best Regards.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Mar-2011 00:00

This is like my #1 wishlist item....integrated backend searchbox template I can easily change...

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi ,

You should map the control through ~/Administration/Settings/Advanced > Controls > ViewMap.

HostType: "Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Search.Web.UI.Public.SearchBox"
LayoutTemplatePath: "~/WidgetTemplates/SearchBox.ascx" (relative path to your template)

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi,

May you provide a sample CSS of how to style the Search Control?

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Jaime ,

On http://templates.sitefinity.com/solarflare/home you can find a styled search box control. The theme is available on Sitefinity's marketplace.

All the best,
Jordan
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2011 00:00

Hi,

Following the described steps worked great for me:
  - I created a new ascx using the template provided in this thread,
  - I added an extra control and changed the css classes,
  - I updated the ViewMap in the administration.

It all worked great: on my front-end site my SearchBox does appear as I want.
However, whenever I click "Edit" in the Designer mode I get the following ObjectNullReferenceException:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Search.Web.UI.Public.SearchBoxDesigner.InitializeControls(GenericContainer container) +428
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateChildControls() +81
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +181
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +59
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +221
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4184

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Any ideas?

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2011 00:00

Hello Carl ,

Have you made changed to the control designer? This is from where the error comes from SearchBoxDesigner.
The error indicates from some missing reference/control that most probably comes from SearchBoxDesigner.ascx in case it is mapped.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2011 00:00

OK, I'm clearly being stupid here, but where am I going wrong? (A full bulleted list of steps might be nice). Anyways, for the sake of this exercise I have:

Created a new control ~/UserControls/GTC_Search_Box.ascx

01.<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="GTC_Search_Box.ascx.cs" Inherits="SitefinityWebApp.UserControls.GTC_Search_Box" %>
03.<%@ Register TagPrefix="sitefinity" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" %>
05.<fieldset id="main" class="sfsearchBox" runat="server">
06.    <asp:Label ID="searchLabel" runat="server">Search</asp:Label>
07.    <asp:TextBox ID="searchTextBox" runat="server" CssClass="sfsearchTxt" />
08.    <asp:Button  id="searchButton" runat="server" Text="<% $Resources:SearchResources, Search %>" OnClientClick="return false;" CssClass="sfsearchSubmit" />
09.</fieldset>

The only addition is the Label. It has the following codebehind:

01.using System;
02.using System.Collections.Generic;
03.using System.Linq;
04.using System.Web;
05.using System.Web.UI;
06.using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
08.namespace SitefinityWebApp.UserControls
10.    public partial class GTC_Search_Box : Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Search.Web.UI.Public.SearchBox
12.        protected override TextBox SearchTextBox
14.            get
16.                return this.searchTextBox;
20.        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

I have added ~/UserControls/GTC_Search_Box.ascx to the LayoutTemplate for the Search widget:

Settings > Advanced > Toolboxes > Toolboxes > PageControls > Sections > Search > Tools > Search

Compiles correctly, drop the control in a template, but it doesn't have the Label!

What am I missing / doing wrong?

Paul

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2011 00:00

Hi Paul,

You should override LayoutTemplatePath property of the SearchBox and set the Virtual Path Provider

www.sitefinity.com/.../taking_advantage_of_the_virtual_path_provider_in_sitefinity_4_1.aspx

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi, how do I add a label that's within the textbox itself? (Please see attached image). I know a simple title attribute can address this but this is a widget so how can I achieve this aim? Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi jkregala,

You can use jQuery to do this. Here is a good post that shows the functions that you can use to get desired result.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jun-2011 00:00

yes these all are great examples, is best to use these all.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2011 00:00

where can i find solarflare project video training?
I found before somewhere, but I can't find again.
can you post this link?
also if there are more video like solarflare project, i like to know too.
thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi David ,

Thank you for getting back to us!

Which training do you have in mind? Solarflare is a Sitefinity project we used to utilize for demo purposes. Would you happen to remember what the video demonstrated, so that I could look it up and provide a link, please?

Kind regards,
Grisha 'Greg' Karanikolov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2011 00:00

it was about 10 to 12 min small video clip to create template using solarflare template.
it described how to build site include theme, .master pages.
if you can't find, is there a similar video to build template and .master pages

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi David ,

I'm not sure about the video you are referring to, however we have multiple ones that address the topic of designing and skinning with Sitefinity. This one for example should do the trick.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to get back to us at your convenience!

Regards,
Grisha 'Greg' Karanikolov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Ivan,

You wrote: " You should map the control through ~/Administration/Settings/Advanced > Controls > ViewMap.
HostType: "Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Search.Web.UI.Public.SearchBox"
LayoutTemplatePath: "~/WidgetTemplates/SearchBox.ascx" (relative path to your template)"

I've created the custom cs file, placed it in the widgettemplates folder within my template folder that is in the App_data folder as you guys are now suggesting. I followed your instructions and it has absolutely no impact. Instead of your path I put the full path, because to me ~ refers to the application root, not a relative path.

Why won't it pick up the custom layout?

Regards,
Jacques

This thread is closed