Registering a Sitefinity Module

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:48

Registering a Sitefinity Module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Dec-2010 00:00

I've run into this problem previously with Beta 2 and really hoped it would have been sorted by now, but let me but in the caveat that it might also be something wrong on my side.

Basically I am struggling to get a newly registered module to show up in Sitefinity. Just to ensure that it's not a problem with my own custom module I used the JobsModule (which i'm attaching to this post.) 

I'm using the latest build of Sitefinity RC 2 4.0.1030.0. 

I follow the instructions according to the SDK module guide; I've tried adding a reference via VS 2010 as well as simply dropping the dll into the bin folder of the site and then adding the details to the Administration > Settings > Advanced > System > ApplicationModules > Create New. Adding the Name, Title and Type. As well as using OnFirstCall and OnApplicationStart. And then trying to get the site restarted by restarting IIS, rebuilding the website and making mock changes to the web.config.

After all of this I still do not get the Jobs module to appear in the Backend menu. 

Where could I be going wrong? 

EDIT: Changed JobsModule

EDIT: This is the extract from the SystemConfig.config

<add title="Jobs" description="" resourceClassId="" type="Jobs.JobsModule" startupType="OnFirstCall" name="Jobs" />

Thank you very much for your help in advance, Happy holidays.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Trevor,

Thank you for using our services.

The module not appearing in the menu would be caused by exceptions occurred during the install of the module. It is recommended that you use OnApplicationStart start-up type for your custom module. The OnFirstCall method is used for some internal modules such as the Forms module which are internally called by the application so that they can be initialized. Of you do not call the module using OnFirstCall there is no way for the module to be installed if it is not called.

Can you please try break pointing the Install or Initialize methods of your module and set the start-up type to be OnApplicationStart and restart the application. This will trigger the initialization/installation of the module when the application is restarted.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Radoslav,

Thank you for your reply. I've tried to follow the Jobs Module exactly in building a very basic module. I just cannot get it to register.

Is there anything you see in this very basic module which I am completely missing? 

Link: Download Project

It's really just a framework, but I urgently need to get my modules up and running. 

Did I leave something out, or make a mistake. Or am I just installing the module incorrectly? I used OnApplicationStart and my SystemConfig.config has the following entry:

<add title="LandingPages" description="LandingPages" resourceClassId="" type="landingPages.landingModule" startupType="OnApplicationStart" name="landingPages" />

Thank you very much for your help.

Trevor

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2011 00:00

I also can't get custom modules to display in the Build 4.0.1030.0

After looking through my toolbox, I noticed that it did create the Custom Toolbox section as well as the landingControl. Although I could not actually see the control when I tried to add it too a page. I've had no success in getting this module added to my site otherwise. I would really appreciate it if someone could please point out if I made a mistake in the actual module or left out something in my process in registering ( could you please state the exact steps to follow in point form to register the module and how to properly restart the site. )

Thank you very much in advance,
Trevor

Hi Trevor
I ran into the same problem when following the Jobs module example and it seems the installation failed as in this post. I got the module to show up on the Pages toolbox by deleting and re-adding the module manually in Settings > Advanced > Tollboxes > PageControls > Sections > Custom > Tools.

This allowed me to carry on development while we wait for official release.
Ryan

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Trevor,

There were a few things that we changed in your module code in order to make it run. Please mind that some of the changes require the latest build which will be available publicly on Friday.

First, name mismatch in the module declaration of the module in SystemConfig.config. The name should match the module name, so it should be like:

<add title="LandingPages" description="LandingPages" resourceClassId="" type="landingPages.landingModule" startupType="OnApplicationStart" name="landingModule" />

On the other hand, there's no need anymore to call Config.GetManager().SaveSection(conf) at the end, you'll find it commented. 

Please check the attached refined version of your project.

Regards,
George
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi George,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I seem to be having more success with the updates although something I'm still struggling with is getting the module to list on the backend. 

I've used the exact module you've supplied in the above attachment and inserted the code into the SystemConfig.config. I can see the toolbox item gets added but when it actually comes to listing the module backend... no luck.

I've tried IIS restarts, mock changes to the web.config. 

What am I missing here? I rather miss the Telerik 3's manual adding of modules instead of relying on these install procedures since it seems to have added a degree of complication to the process.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Trevor,

Could you please elaborate more on "listing the module backend"?

If you mean to list the module in the backend menu, it should be listed under "Content" there once it is installed.

If you mean to display your custom module designer, you should correct the path to the resource name landingModuleControl.ascx. This regards only to the refined sample project I sent you earlier.

Greetings,
George
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Dec-2011 00:00

Guys how do I register the Template Importer?

I have added it to my solution. It appears in the Bin as TemplateImporter.dll, but when I add it to the Toolbox and then drop it on the page, it says: "Could not load file or assembly 'TemplateImporter.TemplateImporter' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified". Can I have a step by step indication of how to add the TemplateImporter.
Cheers,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Andrei,

The Template importer module shouldn't appear in the Toolbox if you registered it properly. You should be able to find it under the Design tab as shown in the attached screenshot. I believe you'll find this discussion useful.

Kind regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Dec-2011 00:00

Jen,

Many thanks fro the link, but it is broken.
I have already loaded the TemplateImporter in my project, built in, the TemplateImporter.dll appears in the Bin folder. What I need now is a screen-shot of exactly where I go and exactly what do I need to enter in what field exactly? Do you see what I mean?

Many thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Andrei,

The link works fine now. I already responded in your other forum thread. Here's a screenshot with the required fields in the registration form for the Template Importer.

Greetings,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed