When do we get RC3 and what will be in it?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:18

When do we get RC3 and what will be in it?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Dec-2010 00:00

When the next release of SF4 and what will be in it? I have read several forum post that the Dynamic data portions will not be completed (using your own classes for display) will not be available until the official release. Does this mean we have to use our own data stores and access methods until the official release? I have tight deadlines that require custom modules as my current project deadline corresponds with the official release of SF4.

I hate using a RC product for new development, but the client wanted to use SF4 now.I have another project that begins in Feb. that will also use SF4 and I am using this project to learn so that the next one goes smooth.

Thanks,

JT

Not sure about RC3 but Sitefinity official release is on Jan 14th 2011

I'd predict RC3 around January 14th, there's no way the 14th is going to be completed or bug free code, Telerik devs are great, but they're only human...

I have not told any clients about SF 4 release date, you're just setting yourself and your client up for disappointment. If you think that the product is going to be ready for Jan 14th I don't think you've been using the RC.

I don't mean to be overly negative here, but you really need to have realistic expectations. In RC2 they introduced a whole list of new features (more new features than bug fixes) so you can hardly call RC1 a release candidate if they're still releasing new functionality. (i.e. the new In page editing looks like a total rushed hack, hardly inline if you click on edit and it takes you to a new page, why not just take user to admin section then?)

Good luck with your tight deadline, I'd start changing your client's expectations asap. (i.e. under promise and over deliver).

Regards,
Phill

I agree that it won't be ready for production, but the client insisted on using 4.0. I tried to talk them out of it and set them to use current release and upgrade later, but they told me they are spending too much money to rebuild in less than a year. I clearly set expectations on our deliverables stating it was in a beta product. But at least I did sell a great maintenance agreement.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2010 00:00

Are you serious ? This scares the hell out of me. I was really looking forward to 4.0 release on 01/14/2010.

I am taking part in one of the charity events where we develop applications for charities free of cost. I wanted to do the project in sitefinity because it offers lot of functionality out of the box and thought I could leverage that. Telerik has offered free license of Sitefinity for the charity in GiveCamp.

I have been reading and practising stuff on Sitefinity 4.0 and if it doesn't release by 01/14, I will be very disappointed.

Is there any official word on this? Are we still shooting for 01/14 release or not.....

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2010 00:00

I think we will get an official release, just not a fully implemented release. I think they are going to release some features at later date. I believe that one of those features will have to with the DynamicData facade (Displaying data from your own tables). I am using L2S for now (Tip below). I am also participating in GiveCamp, but we are doing it in Silverlight 4.0. 

To access the Sql Connection String that sitefinity is using:
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration; 
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Configuration;

then Config.Get<DataConfig>().ConnectionStrings["Sitefinity"].ConnectionString

This thread is closed