Can you upgrade to RC2 without the project?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:48

Can you upgrade to RC2 without the project?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jan-2011 00:00

Ok, here's the situation. 

There's a published RC1 install sitting on a webserver, and they want to upgrade to RC2 (from RC1).

I do not have access to the original project...so what's the procedure, are they SOL unless they can get the original VS project?

How do I use the project manager in a case like this...to click the upgrade button

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Steve,

You can do a manual upgrade of the project. Use the latest RC 2 project manger to create a blank project. This will create a folder called _EmptyProject in the same directory where project manager is located. Then you can get the content of the Sitefinity, bin, ClientBin and the web.config and make an upgrade similar to the 3.x procedure.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2011 00:00

Nice!

So it's really just the bin folders that I need to update?...

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Steve,

Yes you are correct. Then you need to restart the website so that the database schema is updated.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jan-2011 00:00

Ok well turns out they did have a copy of the entire project on their server (phew)

So I copied it all down to the sitefinity \projects folder, edited the XML to load it into the manager (changed its version well), then clicked Upgrade

Ended up corrupting it...

Ok, so I deleted it, and removed the link in the xml as well...went into the project manager created a NEW project there.  Once done I deleted all the files in that project folder, and re-downloaded everything from the FTP site locally into there.

Edited the xml to make it be the proper older verison, Ran the upgrade, and it worked!  Uploaded it back to Live, and all good.

The simplicity of upgrading SF4 makes me want to tear up!

Steve

This thread is closed