Generic Content

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:06

Generic Content

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,

I can see Generic Content List as one of the controls under Content widget. I would like to use Generic content. How do I create Generic Content and use them on different pages. Also I would like to use Poll in one of the content blocks. Could you please let me know where can I find the solution for this - if this has been already addressed before in one of the threads. I am using Sitefinity 4.0.1030.0 and just learning to use Sitefinity.

Hi Vinod,

1. GenericContentList control shows list of Content items. You can use it on each page you want. Out of the box you can use FilterExpression property of the control definition, but you should know the item ID.
You have to filter by OriginalContentId

Another option would be just using News widget which provides out of the box filtering with a built-in selector

2. Sitefinity 4.0 RC2 does not have implementation for Polls. We will have such a module on a later stage after the official release.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thank you for your reply. Is this something that can be done through UI or through back end code. I have attached the images for more clarity.
1. Sitefinity Generic Content 1 is what I would like to be displayed on every page, whereas
2. Sitefinity Generic Content 2 is what gets displayed.

Hello Vinod,

1.You can use Content Block widget.

2. The second option is mapping the template for the Generic Content List using its LayoutTemplatePath property and changing it as shown below

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PublicControls.BrowseAndEdit" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="telerik" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" %>

<telerik:RadListView ID="List" ItemPlaceholderID="ItemsContainer" runat="server" EnableEmbeddedSkins="false" EnableEmbeddedBaseStylesheet="false">
    <LayoutTemplate>
        <sf:ContentBrowseAndEditToolbar ID="MainBrowseAndEditToolbar" runat="server" Mode="Add"></sf:ContentBrowseAndEditToolbar>
        <ul class="sfgenericList">
            <asp:PlaceHolder ID="ItemsContainer" runat="server" />
        </ul>
    </LayoutTemplate>
    <ItemTemplate>
        <li class="sfgenericListItem">
            <h2 class="sfgenericTitle">
                <sf:DetailsViewHyperLink TextDataField="Title" ToolTipDataField="Description" runat="server" />

</h2>
             <asp:Literal ID="Literal4"Text='<%# Eval("Content") %>' runat="server" />
            <p class="sfgenericMetaInfo">
                <sf:FieldListView ID="PublicationDate" runat="server" Format="PublicationDate.ToLocal():MMM dd, yyyy" runat="server" />
                <sf:DetailsViewHyperLink ID="itemCommentsLink" runat="server" CssClass="sfgenericCommentsCount" />
            </p>
            <sf:ContentBrowseAndEditToolbar ID="BrowseAndEditToolbar" runat="server" Mode="Edit,Delete,Unpublish"></sf:ContentBrowseAndEditToolbar>
        </li>
    </ItemTemplate>
</telerik:RadListView>
<sf:Pager id="pager" runat="server"></sf:Pager>

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan,

When I was working in Sitefinity 3.7 I had a number of pieces of content (mostly stylized links) set up as "Generic Content" so that I could use them on multiple pages without having to edit each page individually down the road.

This new system of a Generic Content "List" seems to be completely different, and the User Guide doesn't provide much information about editing the "list." Is there another way I can make my Generic Content operate more like the way I was using it in version 3.7? If not, I'll be conducting a incredible amount of redundant work throughout my 100+ page site.

Please advise me on how I can move forward using the same content on more than one page.

Thank you,

Jeff

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Jeffrey,

The ContentBlock of Sitefinity 4.0 does not provider shared content option. This is something that we scheduled form Q1 . The shared content will allow you to use one piece of content in many pages.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed