Backend page looking to my theme directory for backend CSS f

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:09

Backend page looking to my theme directory for backend CSS files

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2011 00:00

My custom widget designers are now non-functional due to Sitefinity looking to the theme directory of the page I'm editing in search of MenuMoreActions.css and Window.css.  This started after upgrading to RC2.  Is there a workaround?

The version is 4.0.1030.0

Screenshot attached.

Did You lose the CSS styling to your header menu section too on the backend.  I upgrade to RC2 and locally it works but when i view it on my webhost(discount asp) it doesn't find the theme for the menus so you can barely see them.

I did indeed.  As soon as I deployed the app to my staging server the menus lost their styling.  Interestingly, I pulled a backup from my staging db and restored it locally and the menus lost their styling locally as well.  I'm stumped.

I am really at a stand-still with my development with this css issue.  I have built a bunch of custom property editors and since the style sheets are not resolving all of the rendered html is not visible.  Colossal pain in the @$$.

Hey Bryan,

I've come across this a number of times as well. Usually the cause is a syntax error or javascript error in one of my custom controls I'm working on. Sitefinity currently does a terrible job of trapping these errors and therefor it breaks the SF backend and one of the first errors seems to be looking for the themes files in the wrong location. This makes it really tough to trouble shoot but I'm pretty sure if you remove any custom controls from this page it will work again. I can't remember the exact post here in the forums, but Telerik has acknowledged that the lack of error trapping is indeed a bug and have assigned it an official bug id, now when it actually gets fixed is another question all together.

Hope that helps to at least narrow down your trouble shooting.

Cheers,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jan-2011 00:00

Thanks for the Feedback, Phil.  This behavior seems to have cropped up after upgrading to RC2.  My control designers were working.  I attached a screen shot of my debugging in google chrome and the 500 error being generated as a result of requesting a sitefinity css file from my application's current theme directory.

Bryan

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2011 00:00

Hey Michael,

Did you ever get this issue resolved?  I just upgraded to the official release and still no menu styles.  Just wondering if you had the solution.

Thanks!
Bryan

I haven't had a chance to upgrade to it yet, since i have to coordinate with multiple developers in order to do it, which is a PITA in and of itself.  I was hoping that it was fixed in this release but your post doesn't make it seem to promising.  Doesn't look like they fixed the other big issue of blowing the app pool memory when running on a shared hosting environment like discountasp.

That's not good.  That's exactly where I'm hosting my app too.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,

The problem is caused because between Sitefinity 4 version 910 and 992 we have changed the location of the CSS file for the backend menu. It seems that with your upgrade this was not properly upgraded in the database. To ensure proper upgrade between version we can advise you that you follow a consecutive path of upgrading. For example if you want to upgrade from Beta 2 to RC 2 you should upgrade to each version in between those two. I have attached an aspx page which you can add to your project root. Then authenticate with an admin account and load the page. This should fix the menu.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thx.  Is there a way you can tell us when database changes like this are made, for those of us on hosted solutions already where our dev environment databases are different from our hosted production databases, so we know that we have to sync them in order to correctly update both environments?

Also i had to recycle the app pool on discountasp to get this to work.  But at least it did work!

Hello Michael,

Database changes should be expected in SP releases or in Q releases from now on - when we introduce new functionality. We will make sure to notify you in the release notes.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

That fixed my menus.  Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2011 00:00

Just thought I'd mention that I still get this when using a custom theme and not the built in "basic" theme. My work around was to use reflector to extract the MenuMoreActions.css, Window.css and PromptDialog.css. I then copied them to my Theme folder in a styles folder and the system can now find them. Pain in the ass work around but the upgrade.aspx page provided didn't change anything for me. This is also on a 100% clean install with the final version of SF4.

If you need screen grabs or cast as proof this bug still exists let me know and I can post.

Cheers,
Phill

This thread is closed