Multiple sub sites using same database

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 01:56

Multiple sub sites using same database

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Dev Team,

As i know from 3.x version, i only specify an applicationName for multiple sub sites using same database. How can we do this on 4.0? I'd like to have many sub sites using only one master database. My layout will be like this:

www.mysite.com (root project)
www.mysite.com/support (support is a separate project using same database as root)
www.mysite.com/landing (landing is a separate project using same database as root)
www.mysite.com/account (account is a separate project using same database as root)
and so on.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

1. You can set the same connection string in all websites from App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\DataConfig.config

2. You can create additional providers with different connection strings from Sitefinity >> Administration >> Settings >> Advanced

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Ivan,

After i create a first site and configure database, then i create a second one, open in visual studio 2010 and update DataConfig.config as you said, but i view default.aspx in browser, i got this error:

Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'pk_sf_page_templates'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.sf_page_templates'.
The statement has been terminated.

This look like i have not completed all the configurations for create a sub site using same database. Please guide me with complete steps to create a sub site after the first one with database configured. 

Thank you very much,

Jason

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Jason,

We are sorry for misunderstanding. Currently, this scenario is not supported. You could accomplish it with appropriate configuration settings, but we don't recommend it, because it is not tested.
We will fix this for the service pack.

All the best,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2011 00:00

Could you please re-clarify and summarize which multi-site, multi-subsite or multi-tenancy scenarios are supported with the current official release of Sitefinity 4.0?

Different or same URL domain name with different sites and/or subsites?

Different databases with different connection strings with different sites and/or subsites?

Please clarify and comment with regard to the different Sitefinity licenses from community to enterprise.

When you say that you will fix subsites for the next service pack, please clarify which of the various multi-tenancy scenarios will be available in the next service pack.

Thanks for clarification.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Jason,

Right now the two scenarios which are supported are:

- Create multiple Sitefinity website which use a common storage for different types of content - News, Blogs, Events, etc. But they should have their own site maps and should store those in their own databases.

- Configure multiple providers for each type of content.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Team Telerik,

I have a little different scenario. I have different websites with different domain. For example:
abc.com, pqr.com, xyz.com, etc... pointing to the same code location.

Now, if I request abc.com, pages and navigation with relation to ABC would show up. If I request xyz.com then pages and news related to xyz.com would be shown.

If my admin has 10 news, I should be able to share half of those for multiple sites...

Is this possible using singlle admin, front and database?

This thread is closed