Licensing Question about 'Public' Users

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:20

Licensing Question about 'Public' Users

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2011 00:00

Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question about licensing for 'Public' users.  I understand in Sitefinity 4.0 that I can only have so many number of CMS users concurrently logon. However, I'm assuming for 'Public' users (non CMS users) I can have as many logon at the same time as I want.  Is this correct? 

For my implementation, we will have around 160 'Public' users and about 2-3 CMS admins.  So we plan to get the Standard version of Sitefinity 4.0.  Is this correct thinking? 

I do plan for the 'Public' users to participate in forums, wikis, blogs, etc.  But this activity won't be in the CMS Admin UI.

Also, can I use the CMS Admin UI to add/update these 'Public' users? 

Thanks in advance!

Blake

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Blake,

The Public users are users that should not have access to the backend. These users should not belong to a role which can login to the backend of the CMS, otherwise these users are supposed to be backend users.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2011 00:00

Dear Ivan

I create 500 users in Sitefinity Admin
I put the 500 users in a role "Intranet"
I don't give the role "Intranet" or the users access to the Backend
I lock some pages for the role "Intranet"

Are you telling me that all 500 users can log-in using SF log-in control at the same time?

Markus

Hi,

There is no limitation if these users cannot access the backend. These 500 users should not access site backend and manage content or settings.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi,

It is not clear for me what is the condition to be a backend user and how to authenticate as a non backend user.
In the Small business edition, I have tried to create an Intranet role with the only permission to view pages and then added a user with this role.
When I am already connected as admin and try to login from a second machine as the Intranet user, I get a message that the maximum user quota has been reached.

In the user list, the Intranet user appears to be Intranet AND BackendUsers.

Thanks

Vincent

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Vincent,

A user which is considered to the quota of concurrent back-end users is a user accessing any page under the /Sitefinity path. If a user is in the administration he/she will be counted towards the quota. If the user is browsing the public part of your website the quota does not apply.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi,
please, I have the same problem. I have small business edition, SF v5, with two users in 'Users' role. When I try to log in with both, from different machines, for the second one I get the maximum quota message.
Please can you confirm that it should work or something has changed since last reply?

Thanks,
Robert

OK, I can confirm it works now, however I had to delete cookies, because on that machine there was administrator logged in before, didn't know this could stop me from logging in with other user.

Hey Robert,

When you go to the backend and choose Administration >> Users and then click on one of the users it becomes all clear. Just under the picture and above the 'roles' there's a checkbox marked "This user can access site backend". That's the license limiting factor.

You can have tens, hundreds of concurrent user logged in to the frontend (forums, comments, login widget) but only limited number of these 'checkboxed' users (in the Small Business Edition case: 1) simultaneously logged in.

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Jochem thank you for clarification,
what I was talking about in last post was a bug with backend/nonbackend users logging in from the same browser. Here is a link to the other thread mentioning this bug:  http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity/general-discussions/524510.aspx#2037216

Robert

This thread is closed