Connect SiteFinity Project Manager to existing source

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:51

Connect SiteFinity Project Manager to existing source

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2011 00:00

Another developer on my team created a Sitefinity project using a local SQL database and has checked the source it into source control. 

I would like to set up a team environment where we share the same Sitefinity back end so I set up my configuration to use SQL Server on a separate tier. 

I use Project Manager on my desktop to create a new project and point it to the source retrieved from source control.  However, I get an error that makes me think it is going to overwrite the project locally.

Is there a way to get Sitefinity to 'connect' to an existing source base and not have it blown away?  Are there documented best practices for using Sitefinity in a team development environment?

Thanks,
Brad

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Brad,

Can you please let us know what is the error you are getting? Can you also please make sure that you have taken all the configuration files from the source control? Those files are located in ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/ in the Sitefinity project. If you are using the same source for the project it would be better if you do not create a new project within the project manager but if you get the project from source control and then just add an entry for it in the Projects.xml file located in the directory of your project manager.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2011 00:00

- The error I get when attempt to create a new project is attached.  I'm guessing that it's because the files are read only (having just been downloaded from SC)
- I have retreived all files from source control, including the config files (10 of them)
- I tried manually editing Projects.xml and adding an entry pointing to the source, but Project Manager says the project status is "Offline" and the only enabled buttons are 'Create New Project' and 'Remove'

Is there something else that needs to be done to make the project go "Online"?
Also, is it sufficient to restore the database from the original developer onto our shared server for the pages to show up properly?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Brad,

The error is caused because you are trying to crate a project in a location which is most probably Read Only. Can you please let us know what are you inputting in the xml file of the project?

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed