How do I...RadEditor

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:52

How do I...RadEditor

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,

I want to make a couple of changes to the RadEditor, but im not sure how to do it in V4.

1) I want to change which RadEditor buttons are within the "basic" and "more advanced" views. For example, I want to move the Paragraph style dropdown into the basic options. Globally if possible so it is implemented everywhere within SiteFinity that uses the RadEditor.

2) I want to actually hide the "More advanced formatting" view unless the logged-in user is a member of the Administrators role. again, globally.

3) Every Control Designer has a "Simple" and "Advanced" view. Again, I want to hide the Advanced view from anyone that is not a member of the Administrators role. I had really hoped this was going to be in V4 as I saw it asked for a lot of times in V3.

4) Finally...The RadEDitor has a HTML and Design view. I  want to hide the HTML view from users that are not members of the administrators role.

Thanks in advance
higgsy

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello higgsy,

Please take a look at this post that explains how to map and modify the ContentBlock control. You can change the RadEditor properties using its specific API. To work with Sitefinity users you can use UserManage, SecurityManager and RoleManager classes.

If there are any questions, let me know.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the response, however I need a little more information.

1) If I map the ContentBlockControl I don't have access to the code-behind/class, therefore I can't work with the RadEditors API, or work with Sitefinity's users. What do you suggest? Do I in fact need to create my own contentblockdesigner?

2) The RadEditor has this new button "More advanced formatting" - where in the RadEditors config is it defined which tools should appear in "basic formatting" and "advanced formatting" views?

3) Is it possible to disable the Advanced views of Control Designers - there is no reason Content Editors should be using the Advanced view.

4) If i want to make changes to the RadEditor sitewide surely i actually need to be changing the HtmnlField control?

Thanks
higgsy

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi higgsy,

1. You can access the RadEditor from HtmlField control

2. More advanced formatting is implementation inside HtmlField

3. There is a way to hide the Advanced button programmatically from the client, but this requires custom control designer and client side part for the designer.

refreshUI: function ()
    var p = this.get_propertyEditor();
    jQuery(p.get_advancedModeButton()).hide();

4. HtmlField control wraps the RadEditor

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan/Radoslav,

Apologies but I still need more detailed information.

1) Ok. But I need to change the RadEditor referenced by HtmlField sitewide. So how do I remap HtmlField? Is it a viewmap I need to map?

2) I looked at the HtmlField class from within Telerik.sitefinity.dll and I could not see anywhere that referenced a tools file. So how will I actually change the tools that are loaded into the RadEditor?

3) Ok - thats a real shame. Its something I saw asked for time and time again in 3.7 and I dont suppose that requirement has gone away - in my eyes, there is no reason that a non-administrator should be using the advanced view. I'll raise a feature request.

4) Relates to 1 & 2 really.

Thanks
higgsy

Hi higgsy,

Once you map the template of the CotnentBlock as suggested to you in the first reply you have access to the HtmlField control and the wrapped RadEditor

htmlEditor.Editor.ToolsFile

I do not see what the problem here would be with accessing this property. Another option for mapping the tools file would be using  ApparanceConfig file with content like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<appearanceConfig xmlns:config="urn:telerik:sitefinity:configuration" xmlns:type="urn:telerik:sitefinity:configuration:type" config:version="4.0.4042.33518">

<editorConfigurations>
        <add value="~/EditorToolsFileAll.xml" key="toolsFile" />
    </editorConfigurations>
</appearanceConfig>

And for the <sf:HtmlField> definition specify the following attributes:

EditorToolsConfiguration="Custom"
EditorToolsConfigurationKey="toolsFile"

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Ivan,

This might be my misunderstanding, but do the modules i.e. news/blogs/events etc use the content block, or the HtmlField? It was my assumption that it would use the HtmlField, at which point I need to get at the HtmlField not the Content Block.

"Once you map the template of the CotnentBlock as suggested to you in the first reply you have access to the HtmlField control and the wrapped RadEditor"

How would I have access? Only in the markup, or are you suggesting I map an usercontrol with code-behind?

Thanks
higgsy

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi higgsy,

Currently it is not possible to change the appearance or any logic of HTML filed from one place. The backend uses definitions where the HtmlField is represented by HtmlFieldElement

The solution here would be creating a custom class that inherits from HtmlField and replace similar to the way described in this post.

In the post you will find an attachment. It contains DefinitionManager class. It provides you with a method to replace any kind of existing with any kind of new field for the specified module. You will notice there how to traverse  the hierarchy of the definitions engine to find the fields which should be replaced.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan,

I am sorry - but your responses have not answered my questions.

1) The method you describe talks about the ContentBlockDesigner, but I want it changed everywhere within Sitefinity that uses the RadEditor. I appreciate you are saying this cannot be done, but then in which case I need to know how to get at the template for each module i.e. Blogs/ News / Events - they all use the RadEditor.

2) I have asked how do I determine which tools are shown under "basic" or "more advanced options". I have mapped a tools file, but how do I set certain tools to be within advanced?

3) Finally, in your last response you referred to a post - "The solution here would be creating a custom class that inherits from HtmlField and replace similar to the way described in this post." - but replace what with what? Come on, SF4 is new and there is not documentation for it, you are talking about an advanced topic here without any guidance.

I would really appreciate a detailed response - many of your responses assume I am a V4 expert - its a new product, so quick responses will really not answer the questions, hence the reason this ticket has been open so long.

Regards,
Al

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2011 00:00

The Appearance.config sounds really interesting. I would love to see more details on that in the designer docs.

I think I am trying to do the same as higgsy. I want to set my own properties for the RadEditor in the "content" field while creating a News item. I see I can go to "Content > News > Settings" and then go to "News > Controls > NewsBackend > Views > NewsBackendInsert > Sections > MainSection > Fields > Content". This seems like the properties of the RadEditor and works great (I set HTML for the HtmlFieldEditModes property and worked). Unfortunately, there is no field to set your own toolbar. Is this the right place I should be looking at?

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi higgsy,

1.You can do it globally - for the entire website by  mapping

Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields.HtmlField through the configuration. Ia m sending you the template for HtmlField which you can modify. The template gives you access to the RadEditor control, so you can set the properties you want.

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" TagPrefix="sf" %>

<sf:ConditionalTemplateContainerID="conditionalTemplate"runat="server">
    <Templates>
        <sf:ConditionalTemplateLeft="DisplayMode"Operator="Equal"Right="Read"runat="server">
            <sf:SitefinityLabelid="titleLabel"runat="server"WrapperTagName="div"HideIfNoText="false"CssClass="sfTxtLbl"/>
            <sf:SitefinityLabelid="viewControl"runat="server"WrapperTagName="div"HideIfNoText="false"CssClass="sfRTFContent"/>
        </sf:ConditionalTemplate>
        <sf:ConditionalTemplateLeft="DisplayMode"Operator="Equal"Right="Write"runat="server">
            <sf:ResourceLinksid="resourcesLinks2"runat="server">
                <sf:EmbeddedResourcePropertySetterName="Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Themes.Default.Styles.EditorDialogs.css"Static="true"ControlID="editControl"ControlPropertyName="DialogsCssFile"/>
                <sf:ResourceFileName="Styles/Window.css"/>
            </sf:ResourceLinks>
            <asp:LabelID="titleLabel"runat="server"CssClass="sfTxtLbl"AssociatedControlID="editControl"/>
            <asp:LinkButtonID="expandLink"runat="server"OnClientClick="return false;"CssClass="sfOptionalExpander"/>
            <asp:PanelID="expandableTarget"runat="server"CssClass="sfEditorWrp sfClearfix">
                <telerik:RadEditor
                    ID="editControl"
                    runat="server"
                    Skin="Sitefinity"
                    Width="100%"
                    Height="550px"
                    EnableResize="False"
                    EditModes="Design,HTML"
                    DialogHandlerUrl="~/Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.axd"
                    Content=""
                    NewLineBr="False"
                    StripFormattingOptions="Css,Font,Span"
                    OnClientLoad="Telerik$Sitefinity$Web$UI$Fields$HtmlField$radEditorToggleAdvancedToolbars"
                    OnClientPasteHtml="OnClientPasteHtml"
                    OnClientCommandExecuting="OnClientCommandExecuting">
                    <FlashManagerViewPaths="~/Files"UploadPaths="~/Files"DeletePaths="~/Files"/>
                </telerik:RadEditor>
                <sf:SitefinityLabelid="descriptionLabel"runat="server"WrapperTagName="div"HideIfNoText="true"CssClass="sfDescription"/>
                <sf:SitefinityLabelid="exampleLabel"runat="server"WrapperTagName="div"HideIfNoText="true"CssClass="sfExample"/>
            </asp:Panel
            <scripttype="text/javascript">
                /* <![CDATA[ */

var className = null;
                var toRemove = false;
                var handlersAdded = false;

function OnClientPasteHtml(sender, args)

var newContent = args.get_value();
                    newContent = newContent.replace(new RegExp("<b(\\s([^>])*?)?>", "ig"), "<strong$1>");
                    newContent = newContent.replace(new RegExp("</b(\\s([^>])*?)?>", "ig"), "</strong$1>");
                    newContent = newContent.replace(new RegExp("<i(\\s([^>])*?)?>", "ig"), "<em$1>");
                    newContent = newContent.replace(new RegExp("</i(\\s([^>])*?)?>", "ig"), "</em$1>");
                    var regex = /<([a-zA-Z]+) ?[^>]*?>\s*<\/\1>/gi;
                    newContent = newContent.replace(regex, "");

newContent = newContent.replace(new RegExp("( \s*\n*)+", "ig"), " ");
                    newContent = newContent.replace(new RegExp("(\s*\n*<br\s*\/?>\s*\n*)+", "ig"), "<br />");

args.set_value(newContent);

function OnClientCommandExecuting(editor, args)

var name = args.get_name();
                    var val = args.get_value();

className = "re" + args.get_commandName();
                    if (editor.get_dialogOpener())

if (editor.get_dialogOpener()._container && !handlersAdded)

editor.get_dialogOpener()._container.add_show(AddRemoveCSSClass);
                            editor.get_dialogOpener()._container.add_close(AddRemoveCSSClass);
                            handlersAdded = true;

if (name == "MergeTags")

editor.pasteHtml(val);
                        //Cancel the further execution of the command as such a command does not exist in the editor command list
                        args.set_cancel(true);

function AddRemoveCSSClass(sender, args)

var popupElement = sender.get_popupElement();
                    if (!toRemove)

Sys.UI.DomElement.addCssClass(popupElement, className);

else

Sys.UI.DomElement.removeCssClass(popupElement, className);

/* ]]>*/
            </script>
        </sf:ConditionalTemplate>
    </Templates>       
</sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer>

2. The advanced tools config file is loaded by HtmlField control. Here is a lost of the tools

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<root>
    <modules>
        <module name="RadEditorStatistics" dockingZone="Bottom" visible="false" />
        <module name="RadEditorDomInspector" visible="false" />
        <module name="RadEditorNodeInspector" visible="false" />
        <module name="RadEditorHtmlInspector" visible="false" />
    </modules>
    <tools name="MainToolbar">
    <tool name="ToggleAdvancedToolbars"/>
    <tool name="Bold" shortcut="CTRL+B"/>
    <tool name="Italic" shortcut="CTRL+I"/>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="InsertOrderedList" />
    <tool name="InsertUnorderedList" />
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="LinkManager" shortcut="CTRL+K"/>
    <tool name="Unlink" shortcut="CTRL+SHIFT+K"/>
    <tool name="ImageManager" shortcut="CTRL+G"/>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="AjaxSpellCheck"/>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="PasteFromWord" />
    </tools>
  <tools>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="JustifyLeft" />
    <tool name="JustifyRight" />
    <tool name="JustifyCenter" />
    <tool name="JustifyFull" />
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="Indent" />
    <tool name="Outdent" />
  </tools>
  <tools>
    <tool name="FontName" shortcut="CTRL+SHIFT+F"/>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="RealFontSize"/>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="FormatBlock"/>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="ForeColor"/>
    <tool name="BackColor"/>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="MediaManager" />
    <tool name="FlashManager" />
    <tool name="DocumentManager" />
  </tools>
  <tools>
    <tool name="InsertParagraph" />
    <tool name="InsertTable" />
    <tool name="InsertSymbol"/>
    <tool name="InsertHorizontalRule" />
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="Superscript" />
    <tool name="Subscript" />
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="FormatStripper"/>
    <tool separator="true"/>
    <tool name="FindAndReplace" shortcut="CTRL+F"/>
    <tool name="Print" shortcut="CTRL+P"/>  
  </tools>
</root>

The tools file is internally loaded by the control.

3. You should replace the built-in Html definition element with yours. The blog post provides description and sample code how to do this. There is entire project that we have attached there.

I hope that all above make sense.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan,
How do I do this global mapping that you're referring to?

Thanks!
Devin

I'm also having trouble following this thread.  This is a great topic though.  As soon as I can wrap my head around this (How to configure RadEditor in Sitefinity), then I'll turn this into a blog post.

I suspect our short-term fix will be a bit complicated though.  However, we've also chatted internally about improving this experience.  I'm hopeful that all of this can be done through the Configuration UI in future versions.

I'm following this thread with interest and anxious to see the result.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

A blog post would be very helpful!  We have a custom editor tools file that goes to all of our clients by default. 

Thanks,
Devin

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2011 00:00

Ivan,

This code is not working. It does not error but does not hide the button either.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Andrei,

Check whether the get_advancedModeButton() is not null. It is possible that the value is somehow overridden. Where exactly you use it? From which class your custom control inherits and which is the base of your client component.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

Ivan,

Here is the code:
ScottishPanelDesigner.ascx

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %>

<telerik:RadWindowManager ID="windowManager" runat="server"
    Height="100%"
    Width="100%"
    Behaviors="None"
    Skin="Sitefinity"
    ShowContentDuringLoad="false"
    VisibleStatusBar="false">
    <Windows>
        <telerik:RadWindow ID="widgetEditorDialog" runat="server" Height="100" Width="100" ReloadOnShow="true" Behaviors="Close" Modal="true" />
    </Windows>
</telerik:RadWindowManager>

<div>
    <table>
         some values here.....
    </table>

<asp:Button runat="server" ID="btnClearAll" OnClientClick="return false;" CssClass="sfLinkBtnIn" Text="Clear All  " />
</div>

ScottishPanelDesigner.cs
using System.Linq;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using Telerik.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System;

namespace SitefinityWebApp.Controls
    public class ScottishPanelDesigner : ControlDesignerBase

protected override void InitializeControls(GenericContainer container)

this.DesignerMode = ControlDesignerModes.Simple;

void HtmlControl_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)

//hide the Advanced button if not admin.
            //this.HideAdvancedMode = true;
            //this.DisableAdvancedMode();

private string _layoutTemplatePath = "~/Controls/ScottishPanelDesigner.ascx";
        public override string LayoutTemplatePath

get  return _layoutTemplatePath;
            set  _layoutTemplatePath = value;

protected override string LayoutTemplateName

get return "Scotish Panel.";

private const string _layoutTemplateName = "SitefinityWebApp.Controls.ScottishPanelDesigner.ascx";

protected Button ButtonClearAll

get return Container.GetControl<Button>("btnClearAll", true);

protected virtual RadWindowManager RadWindowManager

get

return this.Container.GetControl<RadWindowManager>("windowManager", true);

private string _scriptPath = "~/Controls/ScottishPanelDesigner.js";
        public string DesignerScriptPath

get return _scriptPath;
            set _scriptPath = value;

public override IEnumerable<ScriptReference> GetScriptReferences()

var scripts = base.GetScriptReferences() as List<ScriptReference>;
            if (scripts == null) return base.GetScriptReferences();

scripts.Add(new ScriptReference(DesignerScriptPath));
            return scripts.ToArray();

public override IEnumerable<ScriptDescriptor> GetScriptDescriptors()

var descriptors = new List<ScriptDescriptor>(base.GetScriptDescriptors());
            var desc = (ScriptControlDescriptor)descriptors.Last();
            desc.AddElementProperty("btnClearAll", this.ButtonClearAll.ClientID);
            desc.AddComponentProperty("radWindowManager", this.RadWindowManager.ClientID);
            return descriptors;

And the ScottishPanelDesigner.js
Type.registerNamespace("SitefinityWebApp.Controls");

SitefinityWebApp.Controls.ScottishPanelDesigner = function (element)
    SitefinityWebApp.Controls.ScottishPanelDesigner.initializeBase(this, [element]);

this._propertyEditor = null;
    this._controlData = null;

this._btnClearAll = null;
    this._radWindowManager = null;
    this._btnClearAllDelegate = null;

SitefinityWebApp.Controls.ScottishPanelDesigner.prototype =
    /* --------------------------------- set up and tear down --------------------------------- */
    initialize: function ()
        this.refreshUI();
        SitefinityWebApp.Controls.ScottishPanelDesigner.callBaseMethod(this, 'initialize');

this._toogleGroupSettingsDelegate = Function.createDelegate(this, function ()
         dialogBase.resizeToContent(); );

this._btnClearAllDelegate = Function.createDelegate(this, this._ClearAllTextfields);
        $addHandler(this._btnClearAll, "click", this._btnClearAllDelegate);

dispose: function ()
     SitefinityWebApp.Controls.ScottishPanelDesigner.callBaseMethod(this, 'dispose'); ,

/* --------------------------------- public methods --------------------------------- */
    // implementation of IControlDesigner: Forces the control to refersh from the control Data
        var data = this.get_controlData();

//hide the advanced button.

jQuery("#tbATSIX_60N").val(data.ATSIX_60N);
        jQuery("#tbBALIX").val(data.BALIX)
        jQuery("#tbBALIX_59N").val(data.BALIX_59N)
        jQuery("#tbERAKA").val(data.ERAKA)
        jQuery("#tbERAKA_58N").val(data.ERAKA_58N)
        jQuery("#tbGOMUP_57N").val(data.GOMUP_57N)
        jQuery("#tbRATSU_61N").val(data.RATSU_61N)
        jQuery("#tbSCOT_MIL").val(data.SCOT_MIL)

dialogBase.resizeToContent();

// implementation of IControlDesigner: forces the designer view to apply the changes on UI to the control Data
    applyChanges: function ()
        var controlData = this.get_controlData();
        controlData.ATSIX_60N = jQuery("#tbATSIX_60N").val();
        controlData.BALIX = jQuery("#tbBALIX").val();
        controlData.BALIX_59N = jQuery("#tbBALIX_59N").val();
        controlData.ERAKA = jQuery("#tbERAKA").val();
        controlData.ERAKA_58N = jQuery("#tbERAKA_58N").val();
        controlData.GOMUP_57N = jQuery("#tbGOMUP_57N").val();
        controlData.RATSU_61N = jQuery("#tbRATSU_61N").val();
        controlData.SCOT_MIL = jQuery("#tbSCOT_MIL").val();

/* --------------------------------- event handlers --------------------------------- */
    _ClearAllTextfields: function ()
        var texts = document.getElementsByTagName('input')
        for (var i_tem = 0; i_tem < texts.length; i_tem++)
            if (texts[i_tem].type == 'text')
                texts[i_tem].value = ''

/* --------------------------------- properties --------------------------------- */
    get_controlData: function ()
        return this.get_propertyEditor().get_control();

// gets the reference to the propertyEditor control
    get_propertyEditor: function ()
        return this._propertyEditor;
    // sets the reference fo the propertyEditor control
    set_propertyEditor: function (value)
        this._propertyEditor = value;

// get the reference to the button that opens page selector
    get_btnClearAll: function () return this._btnClearAll; ,

// sets the reference to the button that opens page selector
    set_btnClearAll: function (value) this._btnClearAll = value; ,

get_radWindowManager: function () return this._radWindowManager; ,

set_radWindowManager: function (value)
        if (this._radWindowManager != value) this._radWindowManager = value;

SitefinityWebApp.Controls.ScottishPanelDesigner.registerClass('SitefinityWebApp.Controls.ScottishPanelDesigner', Sys.UI.Control, Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign.IControlDesigner);
if (typeof (Sys) !== 'undefined') Sys.Application.notifyScriptLoaded();

Many thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Andrei,

Your client component registers under IControlDesigner. In this case you need to hide the button as shown below

this._hideAdvancedDelegate= Function.createDelegate(this, this._hideAdvanced);
        Sys.Application.add_load(Function.createDelegate(this, this._hideAdvancedDelegate));

dispose: function ()
        Sys.Application.remove_load(this._hideAdvancedDelegate);

if (this._hideAdvancedDelegate)
            delete this._hideAdvancedDelegate;

Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Web.UI.Designers.ControlDesigner.callBaseMethod(this, 'dispose');

_hideAdvanced: function ()
     jQuery(this.get_propertyEditor()._advancedModeButton).hide();

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed