ContentDecorator for third party ORM

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 09:35

ContentDecorator for third party ORM

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,

I was just having a look at one of the module that is shipped with Sitefinity SDK.

It's data layer is implemented using OpenAccessORM. I was wondering what would I do if I were to implement the same module using another ORM instead of Open Access ORM..

The OpenAccessJobsDataProvider class has the following attribute :

[ContentProviderDecorator(typeof(OpenAccessContentDecorator))]
public class OpenAccessJobsDataProvider : JobsDataProviderBase, IOpenAccessDataProvider

The OpenAccessContentDecorator is defined in  Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.GenericContent.Data;

If I were to implement this module using another ORM (say NHibernate or XPO), do I need to implement that class?

Is it necessary to have that attribute? What purpose does it solve? How do I implement that class for another ORM?

Hello Larry,

You can use another ORM instead of OpenAccess inside Sitefinity for custom implementations like custom modules that are not based on one of the built-in modules, controls that does not inherit from our bases classes which relies on a wcf services which manager classes use built-in OpenAccess data provider.
Sitefinity 4.0 is not tightly integrated with OpenAccess ORM. You can replace some of the built-in data classes with custom one( which is not a trivial task). For instance you can create a custom data class that inherits from PageDataProvider. PageDataProvider is abstract class and our OpenAccessPageProvider inherits from it. It also depends on whether your data layer supports POCO objects  - objects that are not tied to a specific context.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I fully understand now.

However, I would like to know what does 'ContentProviderDecorator' does? The Document doesn't talk about it...

If I were to develop a custom module, is it necessary? What purpose does it solve?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2011 00:00

I was thinking about the same thing too. Any ideas?

Hello ,

Decorators are a way of sharing implementation accross multiple data providers.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

So, If I have to use NHibernate, do I need to write NHibernateContentDecorator?

If so, what methods should I implement? Do u have a sample for that?

One sentence answers only create frustation.... They don't help in any way.... Can you please be little more clear? I want a direction, because I am seriously considering another ORM vendor... I can't use design mode for Open Access in Sitefinity (because of custom build and I don't want to be struck with a certain version ) and I am evaluating XPO/LLBLGenPro to create custom modules.....

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Larry,

If you write custom providers that make use of another ORM, you don't have to write a decorator. The decorator that we have implemented is mostly containing some shared logic between our content data providers(for example the comments manipulation logic). You can implement this logic inside your provider entirely without implementing a decorator. The decorator will be useful if you have many providers and want to share a common implementation between them.  If you inherit ContentDataProviderBase, you will have to override all methods that are related to working with comments, since they make use of this ContentDecorator.

All the best,
Nikolay Datchev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Nikolay,

How about implementing GetSecurityRoot() method for custom data provider that does not inherit from ContentDataProviderBase? I found that  Sitefinity stores security roots in the sf_security_roots table.

As far as I understand, it checks before,  if the security roots exist for the appropriate data provider. If they don't exist then SetRootPermissions method of data provider will be executed.

I can't figure out how I can check for existing security roots. Can you provide an example how to select the security roots for custom data provider?

Thanks in advance,
Anton.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Larry,

This the actual implementation of this method that our providers use is in the OpenAccessDecorator. Generally we have a security root implementation for OpenAccess based providers and this is the code:
BTW (DataProvider property here should be your custom provider.  Context is the the OpenAccessContext that is used work with Open Access persisteny objects)

/// <returns></returns>
        public SecurityRoot GetSecurityRoot()

var secObj = this.DataProvider as ISecuredObject;
            if (secObj != null && secObj.Id != Guid.Empty)

// Always use this method. Do NOT change it to query. Catch the exception if the Id can be wrong.
                var root = this.Context.GetItemById<SecurityRoot>(secObj.Id.ToString());
                return root;

return null;

/// <summary>
        /// Gets the security root.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="create">if set to <c>true</c> a security root will be created for the provider if there is no root.</param>
        /// <returns></returns>
        public SecurityRoot GetSecurityRoot(bool create)

return this.GetSecurityRoot(create, new Dictionary<string, string>(), new string[] );

/// <returns></returns>
        public SecurityRoot GetSecurityRoot(bool create, IDictionary<string, string> permissionsetObjectTitleResKeys, params string[] permissionSets)

var secObj = this.DataProvider as ISecuredObject;
            if (secObj != null)

var appName = this.DataProvider.ApplicationName;

var key = String.Concat(this.DataProvider.RootKey, this.DataProvider.Name);
                var root = this.Context
                .GetAll<SecurityRoot>()
                .Where(r => r.ApplicationName == appName && r.Key == key)
                .FirstOrDefault();

if (root == null && create)

if (permissionSets.Count() == 0)
                        root = new SecurityRoot(appName, Guid.NewGuid()) Key = key ;
                    else
                        root = new SecurityRoot(appName, Guid.NewGuid(), permissionSets, permissionsetObjectTitleResKeys) Key = key ;
                    this.Context.Add(root);
                    this.DataProvider.SupportedPermissionSets = permissionSets;
                    var orgVal = this.DataProvider.SuppressSecurityChecks;
                    this.DataProvider.SuppressSecurityChecks = true;
                    this.DataProvider.SetRootPermissions(root);
                    this.DataProvider.SuppressSecurityChecks = orgVal;

this.CommitTransaction();
                    CacheDependency.Notify(new object[] root );

return root;

return null;

Kind regards,
Nikolay Datchev