Invalid full name format -- windowsIdentity.Name

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:56

Invalid full name format -- windowsIdentity.Name

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2011 00:00

I am upgrading my site to the official release 4.0.  I've updated everything under _EmptyProject, re-compiled my custom controls, then I got this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Invalid full name format.
Parameter name: windowsIdentity.Name

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Invalid full name format.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Invalid full name format.
Parameter name: windowsIdentity.Name]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.WindowsIdentity.LoadUser(WindowsIdentity windowsIdentity) +405
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.BuildIdentity(HttpContextBase context) +710
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.BuildPrincipal(HttpContextBase context) +103
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.AuthenticateRequest(HttpContextBase context) +386
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Context_AuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +18
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +148
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Do you know what's wrong here?

And I was not able to rolled back to the previous working site, I copied everything back from the backup folder, and the site was not able to load.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2011 00:00

I've created a new project by the official release on my local workstation, and copied over all custom changes from the old site, pointed to the same database, and it works fine on my local machine.

When I publish the website to our server (Windows 2003 Service Pack 2), the error occurs again.  The server is good to run previous version Sitefinity 4 sites, only failed to run the official release.

Also I cannot install Sitefinity_4.0.1098.0.msi on that server, it says 'you must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service'.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi MJia,

1. What are the steps for reproducing this issue? Do you use windows authentication ?

2.Also I cannot install Sitefinity_4.0.1098.0.msi on that server, it says 'you must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service'.

You should upgrade your windows installer.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi  MJia, Ivan,

I also faced the same problem on windows 2003 server and managed to solve it by setting 

"<

authentication mode="None"/>" in web.config

Waqar Haider 

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

I am getting this message when following the instructions for "Enabling Windows Authentication to automatically access Sitefinity backend"

I have setup my LDap connection and have enabled it following the directions. Have changed the web.config and set authentication="Windows".  I can see list of LDap users if I login using Forms auth and go to users admin page. Please advise.

Jeremy Waite
City of Marietta, GA

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Jeremy,

What version of Sitefinity are you using? SF 4.0 does not support correctly Windows Authentication. It has been fixed in the Q1 4.1 version.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi, can anyone advise on how to get over this error? I'm getting exactly the same error after following these instructions:

www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrading-sitefinity-projects.aspx

to upgrade a 4.0 sitefinity project to 4.1. I got it in the project manager fine, hit upgrade, seemed to go up to 100% with no problems. I can build my solution too no errors. But on browsing the site I get this. I've checked and The data config has the same db connection string as the 4.0 version. What does this error mean?

Server Error in '/xxx' Application.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Invalid full name format.
Parameter name: windowsIdentity.Name]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.WindowsIdentity.LoadUser(WindowsIdentity windowsIdentity) +416
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.WindowsIdentity..ctor(WindowsIdentity windowsIdentity) +26
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.BuildIdentity(HttpContextBase context) +745
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.BuildPrincipal(HttpContextBase context) +104
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.AuthenticateRequest(HttpContextBase context) +409
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Context_AuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +18
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +168
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +76

any help available please?

Hi ,

We thrown this error Invalid full name format.", "windowsIdentity.Name" when the windowsIdentity.Name is not in format Domain\USER. I am not able to replicate this issue locally with LDAP and Windows authentication. Can you check what the the identity name?

System.Web.HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name

also

Windows Authentication should be set to on
Site/Sitefinity/Services - Windows Authentication should be off and Anonymous Authentication should be on

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Jeremy,

I have the exact problem.  Have you found the fix yet?  I would imagine there are many people having this same problem.  Windows authetication or Active Directory integration to any app is a common requirement for most of the organizations.  There is seemed to be lack of support from Telerik for this area. 

This document -- Enabling Windows Authentication to automatically access Sitefinity backend
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/installation-and-administration-guide/system-settings/enabling-windows-authentication.aspx -- is not working.

I got the LDAP connection, membership provider, and roles (groups) working fine.  Before inserting "<authentication mode="Windows"/>" as the instruction #10 in the article, I login as admin with the default provider, and able to see my Active Directory users and groups.  This part is working.  But, after adding "<authentication mode="Windows"/>" to the web.config, restarted the IIS 7, I got the error:

"

Source Error:

"
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Norman

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan,

On your June 9th post, "We thrown this error Invalid full name format.", "windowsIdentity.Name" when the windowsIdentity.Name is not in format Domain\USER", can you elaborate this?  And also where can I find the identity name -- System.Web.HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name.

Thanks,

Norman

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Norman,

Please take a look at this MSDN article.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Sep-2011 00:00

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jun-2015 00:00

Your link is bad!

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jun-2015 00:00

Hi,

Please find the link to our new documentation portal here. For further information about WindowsIdentity Class please refer to this MSDN article.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed