Error when trying to create custom or user control containin

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 00:03

Error when trying to create custom or user control containing RadListView

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello,

I am trying to create a control for displaying News items.  I have tried to create both a user control and custom control (which extends the SimpleView class).  In both instances I get the following error when calling the databind method:

"This control must be hosted by ContentView control or one that derives form it"

I followed the instructions for creating the NewsRotator but instead of using the RadRotator control I used the RadListView control.  Here is my intialize method from my custom control where the error occurs:

protected override void InitializeControls(GenericContainer controlContainer)

this.KBList.DataSource = App.WorkWith().NewsItems().Where(n => n.Status == ContentLifecycleStatus.Live).Get().Take(this.kbLimit).ToList();
            this.KBList.ItemDataBound += new EventHandler<RadListViewItemEventArgs>(this.KBList_ItemDataBound);

this.KBList.DataBind();

this.KBList.Height = this.Height;
            this.KBList.Width = this.Width;

How can I successfully create a user or custom control containing the RadListView control?

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan,

Try this code

protected override void InitializeControls(GenericContainer container)

NewsList.DataSource = GetNewsListDataSource();
           NewsList.PreRender += new EventHandler(NewsList_PreRender);

private List<NewsItem> GetNewsListDataSource()

return App.WorkWith()
               .NewsItems()
               .Publihed()
               .OrderByDescending(n => n.PublicationDate)
               .Take(100)
               .Get()
               .ToList();

void NewsList_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)

foreach (var item in this.NewsList.Items)

// put sample control in the template only for the test
               var cntrl = item.FindControl("Hello1") as Literal;
               if (item.ItemType == RadListViewItemType.DataItem || item.ItemType == RadListViewItemType.AlternatingItem)

var dataItem = item.DataItem as Telerik.Sitefinity.News.Model.NewsItem;
                       if (dataItem != null && cntrl !=null)

cntrl.Text = dataItem.Title;

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Ivan,

Your code worked....thanks!

Having another issue now with the template.  When using the template below, I receive the following exception after the InitializeControls event returns and before the PreRender event handler is called.

Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.

I have isolated the line of code in my template that is causing the issue (control works OK without the line below).

<sf:DetailsViewHyperLink ID="NewsTitle" TextDataField="Title" ToolTipDataField="Description" runat="server" />

Is there any reason why adding the DetailsViewHyperLink control to my template would cause an exception?

Below is the code for my template.

<%@ Control Language="C#"  %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Comments" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PublicControls.BrowseAndEdit" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="telerik" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" %>

<p>
 <telerik:RadListView ID="KBList" ItemPlaceholderID="ItemsContainer" runat="server"
         EnableEmbeddedSkins="False" EnableEmbeddedBaseStylesheet="False"
         AllowPaging="True">
    <LayoutTemplate>
        <sf:ContentBrowseAndEditToolbar ID="MainBrowseAndEditToolbar" runat="server" Mode="Add"></sf:ContentBrowseAndEditToolbar>
        <ul >
            <asp:PlaceHolder ID="ItemsContainer" runat="server" />
        </ul>
    </LayoutTemplate>
    <ItemTemplate>
        <li class="sfnewsListItem">

<h2 class="sfnewsTitle">
                <asp:Literal ID="Hello1" runat="server"></asp:Literal>
            </h2>

<h2 >
                <sf:DetailsViewHyperLink ID="NewsTitle" TextDataField="Title" ToolTipDataField="Description" runat="server" />
            </h2>

<div class="sfnewsMetaInfo">
                <sf:FieldListView ID="PublicationDate" runat="server" Format="PublicationDate.ToLocal():MMM dd, yyyy" />
                   <sitefinity:TextField ID="ViewsCount" runat="server" DisplayMode="Read"  />

</div>

<sf:ContentBrowseAndEditToolbar ID="BrowseAndEditToolbar" runat="server" Mode="Edit,Delete,Unpublish"></sf:ContentBrowseAndEditToolbar>
        </li>
    </ItemTemplate>
</telerik:RadListView>

Hello Dan,

Please check your support ticket -Customizing the News widget, ID 387036

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jan-2011 00:00

Below is the ticket response I received in case anyone else has a similar issue.

The error that you experience is due to the fact that you use the DetailsViewHyperLink control. This control can only be used in controls that are inside a ContentView control(like NewsWidget). The problems is that DetailsViewHyperLink is trying to get information from the ContentView control, about how to build the link to the detail views,e.g. it checks if it should point to the same page or another page, also some more details about the URL build logic. In your case it seems that you have implemented the link logic inside the user control, so you can simply use asp:HyperLink instead of DetailsViewHyperLink.

About extending the views that the NewsWidget can work with-> it is still possible to add a new type of list view(Implemented as UserControl) to the NewsWidget through our configuration. It is best if this new view implements IViewControl, so you can have access to the settings inside the NewsWidget like filters, default sorting, paging settings, page where to open the details etc. 
To add the new view to the NewsView widget you need to change something inside the NewsView.config in the App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/
This is also going to be possible to do very easy from the UI configuration settings in the next offical release of Sitefinity.

here is how this config looks

<providers>
<add version="4.0.1098.0" name="OpenAccessDataProvider" />
</providers>

///Add after providers section:

<contentViewControls>
<contentViewControl definitionName="NewsFrontend">
<views>
<view viewVirtualPath="~/MyCustomView.ascx" viewName="MyCustomView" type:this="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.Config.ContentViewMasterElement, Telerik.Sitefinity"></view>
</views>
</contentViewControl>
</contentViewControls>

viewVirtualPath="~/MyCustomView.ascx" => says where the user control is in your web site folders. After you add this to the configuration it can be set in the NewsWidget designer as the default List View by going into NewsWidget Advanced settings and setting the property MasterViewName to MyCustomView.

This thread is closed