Upgrading to 4

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 07:51

Upgrading to 4

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,
I have a website with sitefinity 3.2. Now I would like to upgrade this to 4. Can you please explain me the procedure

Thanks,
Hydo

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Hydo L,

1. You have to upgrade to Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 following our upgrade instructions.
2. Then you have to use our migration tool

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2011 00:00

Thanks Ivan.

Hydo

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Mar-2011 00:00

Can any one tell me where I can download patch for Sitefinity 3.7 SP4. I am trying to upgrade my site finity 3.2 website to 4.

Hello Hydo L,

Here is a link to the download section of your account

www.sitefinity.com/.../trial-single-download.aspx

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Thanks Ivan,
Which one shall I download as I am upgrading from version 3.2 to version 4.0?
I understand that First I need to upgrade 3.2 to 3.7 sp4 and then 3.7sp4 to version 4.0. 

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi,

During the upgrade everything worked fine with me. But when i click the "Begin Migration" it just stay there nothing happens. Please check the attached screen grab.

URL for 4.0 website is : http://localhost:49954/Demo/

URL for 3.7 website : http://localhost:8004/

Error log is 

"
Timestamp: 3/9/2011 7:31:52 AM
    Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Migration.Classes.MigrationUsers.ImportUser(MigrationUser userContent)
   at Migration.MigrationModule.ImportUsers()
   at Migration.MigrationModule.DoMigration(String sourceUrl, String checkedModule)
   at Migration.PublicControls.BackendOverviewControl.BeginMigrationButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Category: 
    Priority: -1
    EventId: 1
    Severity: Information
    Title:
    Machine: BILAL-PC
    Application Domain: 360d2fa7-1-129441286700204856
    Process Id: 3580
    Process Name: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DevServer\10.0\WebDev.WebServer40.exe
    Win32 Thread Id: 8124
    Thread Name: 
    Extended Properties: 

"

Thanks,
Hydo.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Hydo L,

I see that you are not using the latest changeset of the tool. The latest changeset added some additional error handling when importing Users - generally the problem might be that all your 3.7 users have empty emails. And when you try to migrate them to 4.0 the second one with empty email is considered like a "duplicate" email and it errors out.

Also the latest changeset excludes temporarily the metafields definitions as there are some issues with importing them. Please update to the latest changeset of the migration tool.

All the best,
Liubomir
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi,

I have upgraded my sitefinity 3.2 website to sitefinity 4.
Every thing goes well with the upgrade. I did this in 2 steps.

1. Upgraded to Sitefinity sp4 using patch file "Sitefinity_3_7_2136_standard_trial_NET20_patch" ---> Working fine
 2. Used the migration tool "sitefinitymigration-3643" to migrate content from sp4 to 4.0. --> In this step  all sections shows migrated but when I open the user interface of my website it doesn't shows the page contents. It shows the design but no contents or texts in the pages. If I signed in to the admininstrator and on the same browser another tab I can view almost all the site contents (some slots shows like "fa2bcbae-e80f-421a-a49a-21a9f2a743d7"). But if i signed out from Administrator all contents go blank 

Can you please tell me what is wrong with my upgrade.

Note:- I tried to use the latest migration tool but it shows error saying that "migration tool is using run time newer than/...."

Thanks,
Hydo

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Hydo L,

Yes, this is a known problem with the permissions of the controls in the pages. I can't figure out why during the migration process some of the controls get proper permissions to be viewed by "Everybody" and some don't. It's completely random on every iteration of the migration process.

What you could do is go to a page where the controls do not show when you are logged as Administrator, and for each block select More->Permissions and allow "View" for "Everybody". I know it's a burden but currently there appears to be some issue with SF itself that prevents the controls inside a page or template to receive proper permissions during the migration process.

Best wishes,
Liubomir
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2011 00:00

Thanks Liubomir . I will try this. 

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2011 00:00

Thanks

This thread is closed