Starter kits

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:17

Starter kits

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi

Where are the installation instructions or starter kits? Also where does one set the db connection strings for each starter kit to point to the correct db server?

Thanks

Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi John,

There are no installation instruction as the website is already implemented and it has its own database. We have simply archived the project together with the source code, and we have made it available for anyone to use and modify it. For the same reason you are not asked for any DB credentials as the project has its own .mdf file. If you have problem connecting the database, you can check the following file App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/Data.Config that points to the SQL Express instance that is required in order to work with the .mdf file.

Please let me know if you need any further instructions.

Best wishes,
Hristo Borisov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi

Below is what I get when I open Charity Kit in vs2010, build the project and then view in browser. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

Regards

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed. 
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[SQLException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver.connect(ConnectionString connectionString, IDictionary driverProps) +613
   OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.conn.RelationalConnectionPool.createRealCon() +219

[DataStoreException: Unable to connect to Backend=mssql;Driver=genericADO2;Server=.;Instance=SQLExpress;Database=-;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFilename=F:\Download\CMS\Sitefinity 4.0\Charity_Source_4.0.1098.0\Website\App_Data\Sitefinity.mdf;:
Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver.connect(ConnectionString connectionString, IDictionary driverProps)
   at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.conn.RelationalConnectionPool.createRealCon()
DBDriver: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver
LOCK_TIMEOUT=5000
useUTCForReads=1 Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver.connect(ConnectionString connectionString, IDictionary driverProps)
   at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.conn.RelationalConnectionPool.createRealCon()]
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessRoleProvider_e892e6b5c90e4147be18f7b5bcd26d52.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +195
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +1477
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +63
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.SetProvider(String providerName, String transactionName) +161
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName, String transactionName) +131
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.RoleManager..ctor() +20

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +98
   System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) +241
   System.Activator.CreateInstance() +103
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.GetManager(String providerName, String transactionName) +90
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SitefinityPrincipal.Initialize() +742
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.RolePolicyHandler.GetPolicyNames(ConfigProvider configProvider, ConfigSection section) +45
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.GetValueFromPolicy(ConfigPolicyHandler handler, ConfigProperty prop, Object& value) +101
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.GetPolicyValue(ConfigProperty prop, Object& value) +87
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.get_Item(ConfigProperty prop) +56
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.get_Item(String propertyName) +68
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Configuration.SecurityConfig.get_ApplicationRoles() +17
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SitefinityPrincipal.get_IsBackendUser() +53
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.AuthenticateRequest(HttpContextBase context) +870
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Context_AuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +18
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +148
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75  

Hi

I think I have solved this. Try the following;

A) Delete C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS.

B) Modify the SQL Server (SQLExpress) service to use your local or system account and restart the service. 

Regards

Hi

Another starter kit issue. Running the Telerik International University Starter Kit, on the introduction page when the ‘Skip the introduction page and launch the backend’ option at bottom of the page is selected then attached login screen appears.

When selecting ‘Switch User’ from login screen, it gives below error.

What am I doing wrong?

Many Thanks

Regards

You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user. 
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: Telerik.Sitefinity.SitefinityExceptions.ItemNotFoundException: You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[ItemNotFoundException: You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.]
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessMembershipProvider_fbce98c2ed9c4961bc433c4519649ab8.GetUser(Guid id) +253
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.UserManager.GetUser(Guid id) +46
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.LogoutImpl(String providerName, Guid userId, String userName, Credentials credentials) +669
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.Logout(String providerName, Guid userId) +109
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.Logout() +239
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Web.UI.LogoutForm.DoLogout(String navigateUrl) +12
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Web.UI.LogoutForm.SwitchUserButton_Command(Object sender, CommandEventArgs e) +7
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +169
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +9
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +176
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563

Hi John,

Try deleting your cookies, I had the same problem and it fixed it for me.
I think it's because you are still logged into the other starter kit and it's trying to redirect to that starter kit rather than the one you are running.

Hi Euan

It worked. Thanks.

Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi

I now have the same problem with charity starter kit that I cannot login to the backend. I tried deleting cookies but no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks

Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi,

I understand that there are no instructions for the starter kits but it is not obvious (to me certainly) how you initiate them.  I have installed sitefinity 4.0 and downloaded the starter kits and then through through project manager have created a new project and linked it to the source file directory (for Intranet) which doesn't seem like the correct thing to do.

I want to see the starter kit in operation and to be able to modify the content and design. How do i achieve this?

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Steve Brook,

Thank you for joining the conversation.

We have a series of videos on TelerikTV which explain how to use the starter kits. You can check this one which is about setting up the project: GiveCamp - Installing & Planning your Sitefinity Project.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Apr-2011 00:00

your video does not work.  After spending about 20 minutes waiting for "connecting..."  It throws an exception saying it can't find the SQL Sever server instance.  I thought it was using a built in copy of SQL Server? 

So I have to go into the project's AppData/Sitefinity/configuration/dataconfig.config file to change the name of the SqL Server instances from .\SQLExpress2005 to .\SQLExpress.  Then the project was able to be loaded.  Whew!

This thread is closed