Upgrade Instructions from SF 3.x to SF 4.0?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:15

Upgrade Instructions from SF 3.x to SF 4.0?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jan-2011 00:00

Are there the offical upgrade Instructions from verion 3.x to 4.0?

thanks,

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello WhiteShark,

Here they are - http://sitefinitymigration.codeplex.com/documentation

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2011 00:00

Hi

Is the upgrade method for getting from 3 to 4 still in development. I have just tried the upgrade tool at http://sitefinitymigration.codeplex.com and had no real luck. Some issues where:

- The instructions don't quite match up against sf 4.1 (modules seems to different to the instructions but after some luck I figured it out)
 - Some references that had to be relinked int 4.1 migration side had no apparent appropriate dll in sf 4.1
 - I did get both sides working but the final running of the migration script never ended with the little "processing" circle never going away...

My pariticular situation involves:
- custom master pages and themes
- a number of custom modules with custom content
- custom web controls.

Is there a rough idea of when the production release of the migration tool will  be released? Will the final tool be a native part of the SF 4?

Cheers,
Steven.

I had to run the migration tool a few times by only doing an item or two at a time instead of migrating everything at once.  Results though are flaky...it left me with 65 blog posts showing Draft mode even though they were all published.

My impression of the tool is that it was a proof of concept someone made over the weekend.  It then got assigned to the poor *** to keep developing it on codeplex, but it's not his primary job to 100% work on this tool...just something he's now hosed into doing :)

It just doesn't work right now enough to reliably trust it...

Yup

Pity, I'm running a site on 3.7 with a lot content of all shapes and sizes and Telerik is constantly telling me how good 4 is... Having a fully fleshed upgrade path would be a really good thing to get me off 3.7 because it's not going to happen anyother way. And that's just to get the data accross - I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with all my master pages, and themes and web controls with the whole new module and control design pattern... this is going to be no small move.

Cheers,
Steven.

Count yourself lucky, I have got around 6 sites in 3.7!

I hope this tool does get fully developed!

Hello,

You can take a look at our designers guide    and see how to register your custom themes. For custom modules and controls - they have to be rewritten, because the tool cannot migrate custom logic.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed