Frustration with Simple Module (Content-Based) Builds

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:30

Frustration with Simple Module (Content-Based) Builds

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2011 00:00

We're looking at using SiteFinity for a rather large website but are running into constant roadblocks in development.  I'm sure a lot of these roadblocks are related to the fact that 4.0 was just released and there is limited documentation.  However, the limited documentation and incomplete explanations are causing us a lot of trouble.

I'm trying to implement a basic module for press releases.  For simplicity, let's ignore the front-end of the site.  All I want to do on the back-end of the site is implement a Content Based module where users can login to the backend and enter a new press release the same way they would a news article.  I would like to extend the Generic Content module for this, but extending News would be fine too.

I have reviewed the Jobs and Products modules.  The problem is that Jobs isn't implementing a content based backend and Products is MAJOR overkill for what I want to do.  I'm not sure which products functions to remove.

I also tried reading the "How to Create a Basic Module" document.  This document gives some excellent code samples but then attempts to explain them in 2-3 sentences leaving me scratching my head as to why certain things are implemented and others aren't.  I've also tried reviewing the development guide and, while the guide does have a thorough list of all methods, there is no sample code to show how to implement them. 

All I'm looking to accomplish is a simple extension of Generic Content with a few additional fields (like external URL).  Can anyone provide me some samples on how to accomplish this? 

Any help I can get from the community on this would be GREATLY appreciated!  I would be happy to package my code once complete for others to see in the hopes it may help them as well. 

THANK YOU!

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Feb-2011 00:00

Anyone know where I could see sample code for something like this?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2011 00:00

We are also looking for the same. Our organization is currently running 3.7 but are planing to upgrade to the 4.0 release. One major obstacle is converting our custom 3.7 modules to the 4.0 format. Any example would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2011 00:00

Anyone from Telerik - are there any plans to release a sample project or documentation on building a basic module with backend editing capabilities without the overkill/advanced features of the product sample module?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello JOHN and John,

I think the Press Release Functionality could easily be achieved by creating an additional data provider for the News module, rather than spending efforts to create a custom module. Here's how to do this:

• Go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced in the backend
  • Expand the News node, and click on the Providers subnode
  • Click the "Create New" button on the right.
  • Specify a name and description of your choice (e.g. "Press Releases"). You can copy the Version and ProviderType fields from the sibling node OpenAccessDataProvider
  • Save the new provider and click on the subnode Parameters, again Create New
  • add "applicationName" as Key and a string of your choice as Value ("PressReleases")
  • Save changes
After you've done this, a menu will appear in the backend of the News module, where you can choose a data provider before creating items (see attached screenshot). In order to view the items from the new provider in the front-end, you need to configure the News widget on a page:
  • Open the properties of the News widget after you drop it on a page.
  • Click Advanced.
  • Find and click "ControlDefinition"
  • Specify the name you gave when creating the provider in the Provider Name property.
  • Save and you're done.
All that said, you are right about the lack of documentation for these common scenarios. Providing a thorough developer manual and samples is a big priority for us in the next quarter and we're investing a lot of effort there. Things are only going to change for the better from now on. Thank you for the understanding and please post any other suggestions for samples or articles that you think would be helpful either in the forums, or through our support system.

Kind regards,
Slavo
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed