SQL Server Express 2008 R2 installation fails

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:21

SQL Server Express 2008 R2 installation fails

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi

SF 4 installed fine on SQL Server 2005. For compatibility reasons I uninstalled SQL Server 2005 and installed SQL Server Express 2008 R2. I uninstalled SF, deleted SF folder and reinstalled SF to reset SF system. Problem is the SF4 start-up page cannot connect to SQL Express 2008 R2 under SQL Express 2008 setting. I have tried various things; making sure tcp/ip protocol was enabled, SQL Browser service running, firewall access for sqlserver.exe etc but no luck. The only way I can make SF4 to work is to tell SF start-up page to install as SQL Server (even though backend db is still SQL Express 2008) and then it installs fine.

What could be the likely problem here with access to sql server express 2008? I have a feeling it will also create problem in running the starter kits apps. A tried a couple of them and they had db access issues as well.

Thanks

Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello John,

Can you please check what is the instance name of your SQL Express 2008 R2 server? If you have multiple instances of SQL server such as 2005, 2008 R2 you must make sure that you change the server name from .\SQLEXPRESS to the instance name under which you have the correct server running.

Kind regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Radoslav

There is only one instance SQLEXPRESS. Image attached.

Thanks

Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi John,

Can you please show us the exact error which Sitefinity is giving you when you try to connect to the SQLEXPRESS server?

Kind regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

* There was an error trying to connect to the Database Server:
System.InvalidOperationException: Instance failure. at Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver.connect(ConnectionString connectionString, IDictionary driverProps) at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.conn.RelationalConnectionPool.createRealCon() at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.conn.RelationalConnectionPool.init() at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.RelationalStorageManagerFactory.connect() at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.RelationalStorageManagerFactory..ctor(StorageManagerFactoryBuilder b) at OpenAccessRuntime.storagemanager.StorageManagerFactoryBuilder.createSmfForURL()

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Bruno

Try these one by one and see if it helps;

A) Delete C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS.

B) Modify the SQL Server (SQLExpress) service to use your local or system account and restart the service. 

Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Feb-2011 00:00

How do I do step B?

I've created a user and used it on SQL Server connection (not express). It worked.

Windows Authentication doesn't work.

Hi Bruno

Go into Administrative Tools-:>Services. There should be a SQLEXPRESS service. Right click on it then select Properties->Log-On.

Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jun-2011 00:00

I am having this same problem and changed the SQLExpress service to logon as the local system account and I still get the same error.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello,

Please make sure that you use the proper server name and your widnows account exist in the SQL server uses. You can use SQL Server Management Studio to test the server accessibility and your credentials. Also make sure that remote connections are enabled. Check whether you will be able to connect to it using SqlConnect i=and connection.Opne() from another ASP.NET website that you can create for a seconds using Visual Studio

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Dec-2011 00:00

our sql server located at our live server at different location.
i like to work vs2010 and sitefinity from remote site to connect sql server.
i enabled accept remote connection from sql server 2008.
is there are any setting need to change from vs2010 and sitefinity 4.2 in order to work correctly.

Hello David ,

There is no specific requirement set by Sitefinity about allowing this connection.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

1. what about license?
we already installed sitefinity to our web server.
But later on we found that we need to work sitefinity from our remote pc.
can i download sitefinity and RadControl to our workstation to do project withour remove sitefinity from our web server?

2. can i download sitefinity 4.2.1650.0?
i need this version in order to work with our custom accounting software.  this software will not work with 4.3.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi David ,

1. Sitefinity comes with Telerik.Web.UI assembly that represents all RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. You can work locally without problems and then deploy your website to the production server.

2. You can see all available versions which you can access through downloads section of your Client Service account.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Aug-2013 00:00

Hello, Ron 02 Aug 2013

During installation of the SQL 2012 Server I received the message c:\program files\microsoft sql server for the INSTALLDDIR and INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR parameter is not valid because this directory is compressed or is in a compressed directory. Specify a directory that is not compressed. I am unable to locate either file. Do I have to re-install SQl Server?  I tried running repair but it doesn't get to the parameter level.

This thread is closed