Search Integration with non-SF websites

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:30

Search Integration with non-SF websites

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2011 00:00

I'm trying to integrate our SF website to include search of another site(in our corporation, different section).  They don't use SF(they're a java shop).  I'm able to conduct a search of their website through the services they exposed by creating an assembly to do the call and get the results, however I don't know how to include these results with what SF is bring back.  

Is there any documentation, or even just ideas/suggestions anybody might have to get started.

Hi Chris,

This is quite complicated task. You might find this post useful where I explain how this can be done. Currently there is an issue with the custom pipes (The bug ID is 105418)and it will not allow you to index the external content data.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Is it possible to try and go the opposite way.  Build a webpage(in the sf website) that can call the sf search api and get results?

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Chris,

Yes, there is API that you can use

var searchManager = SearchManager.GetManager(null);
IResultSet result = searchManager.Find(
this.IndexCatalogue,
searchQuery,
skip,
take
);

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

I think this is what I'm looking for.

Thank's for your help Ivan.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2011 00:00

Chris,

Did you get this to work?  I'm trying to do something similar for my site.  Is this code you can share with me?

Thanks

Joseph,
I haven't tried to implement this approach yet, it was (unexpectedly) pushed to a later date.

I had originally tried screen scraping and was able to make it work.  If you try that approach go into the search results widget and update the template to use the simplest possible html for the results.  It's not ideal, but it will help.

Chris

Chris, thanks for your prompt response.

Ideally, I would like to leverage the Lucene Search engine built into Sitefinity.  The data I'm trying to index is from an external web service.  I thought about writing a background process to spider the service and import the data as content, but I'm not sure about this approach.

I might end up having to write a publishing pipe similar to the Facebook/Twitter pipes that is responsible for invoking the web service methods directly from an external library.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Joseph ,

The proper way for this implementation is using a pipe. We are going to have some samples for Q1 with Products module. The issues with custom pipes are sorted in our code base.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed