create new tables

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:51

create new tables

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2011 00:00

Is it possible to create a new content table and allow the users to input data into it?

Example, my website shows webinars, I want the users to be able to enter in webinars into a webinar table and then pull them out when needed. Something like what drupal has were I can enter in new content types into a new table

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello DotNetGuy,

It  is possible, but you should use your own data layer to persist the data if you do not find a built in module that will do the job for you out of the box.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

Hey Ivan,
  Just to expand on what DNG was asking...

We have a drupal guy on our team and he showed us how he could create a dynamic type and it autogenerated all the edit forms, etc so really he could make object w/out knowing any programming language...

I know SF has dynamic types...and can generate tables in the fly with OA

So can\will we get this functionality at all?

Wasn't there some sort of meta builder or something on the way?

Hello Steve,

If we are talking for a new content type like NewsItem, Content etc, this should be done  programmatically. The products sample catalog shows how to create such a type  - ProductItem

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

@Steve,
   That's exactly what I'm talking about, Our drupal guy showed me the samething with a drupal site we have, were we can go in and create a new content type and then the users can add data to that content type through the GUI. 

As far as "following" the jobsmodule or product module, yeah right, I'm trying to duplicate the jobs module for a new content type and getting nothing but errors and I copied the code and just change the module name to the name I want and nothing,

There needs to be some GOOD documentation from a development stand point on creating new content types, module, etc instead of half baked code that is currently in the online doc for SF 4

There's references dotted all around sitefinity.coms blogs\articles referencing some sort of "Meta builder" which I dont believe is in the current iteration...I was under the impression it WAS like the drupal implimentation

Here's an example:

• What’s new in the Sitefinity 4.0 Release Candidate
    November 11, 2010, by Gabe Sumner, Category: Sitefinity v4.x

In this webinar, Sitefinity Evangelist Gabe Sumner will demonstrate what’s new in the final pre-release version of Sitefinity 4.0. This webinar will also contain details about Sitefinity 4.0 pricing & licensing. New features demonstrated in this webinar include workflow, localization, a meta field builder and more.

Hello Steve,

Actually you can use Forms. When you create a new form we create a new datable in the database. Each form acts as a new dynamic type.The base class here is FormEntry that implements IDynamicFieldsContainer and IContent
Another option is extending an existing type( News,Events, Content ) with custom fields which you can also add from the UI.

As you can see in these cases you also do not have to develop a custom code and you can work only from the UI without knowing what happens behind the scenes.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

@Ivan,
     True, but that doesn't create a new content type which is what I'm looking for in my scenario, just like you can in the drupal and joomla world.

@Ivan
  Yeah I guess that's essentially it...just a different way of looking at it :)

- Create the "Type" and the CMS generates the edit screen and results pages (drupal)

or

- Create the edit screen (the form) and that generates the type (SF)

This thread is closed