Navigation control questions

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 00:20

Navigation control questions

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi , 
I have somes questions abouts Navigation control : 

1- on my website I should have different menus based on authentication (authenticated users and non authenticated one). 
I have a template with a navigation control (Rad menu) which works fine for non authenticated users. 
I should add some pages for authenticated members. What is the best best way to do it (security and performance)? 
May be I can put all the pages on the same Rad menu and specify permission for pages only.
Or I may make different Menu for authenticated users and mange its permissions. (In that case how do I do it? )

2- I should have (for some reasons) different menu items linked to the same page how could I do it with Radcontrol?  

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello xheo,

You can create a several pages and set View permissions only for roles that you want to see them. In this case if the user is authenticate and it is in the correct role they will see these RadMenuItems.

If it is matter of "authentication" only - whether the user is authenticated or not you can create a custom RadMenu control that is bound to SiteMapDataSource. Inside ItemDataBound event of the RadMenu you can check whether the current user from the context is authenticated or not and again show/hide some of the RadMenu items.

As for the second question, we implemented some new features for pages in the internal builds

1. "Standard": Standard page with page data.
2. "Group": Group page without page data.
3. "External": External aspx page from the file system. It's outside of Sitefinity but it is inside of the web site. The page node has a page data object with ExternalPage property set.
4. "InnerRedirect": Redirect inside of Sitefinity (redirecting page). The page node has no page data but keeps the id and the provider of another page node (linked page). It uses the lifecycle and multilingual versions of the linked page. A request to the URL of this page performs permanent redirect to the linked page. In the navigation control the URL of the linked page is rendered instead of the URL of the redirecting page.
5. "OuterRedirect": Redirect outside of Sitefinity. The page node has no page data and permanently redirects to a page from the web. The URL of the linked page is stored in the RedirectUrl property of the PageNode. Supports multilingual, i.e. different URLs for the different languages.
6. "Rewriting": Rewrite inside of Sitefinity. Same as InnerRedirect but loads the page data of the linked page, i.e. the page data is reachable by two URLs. Accessible only through API

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed