create basic module - walk through

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:58

create basic module - walk through

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2011 00:00

has anyone had success in doing the "tutorial", 'how to create a basic module'? I'm trying to go through (without referencing the actual 'jobs module' and no luck. When creating a new module what namespaces do I need to reference? It appears that the code is only 80% showing in the tutorial and is only half of what you need to do. When I actually look at the jobsmodule, I can see all of the code being used, however how can I create a basic module if I don't know what I actually need to create it?

Will there be any full developer documentation with SF 4 that shows how to create a module from start to finish (what namespaces are needed, what files need to be modified, etc), so far all of the documentation I'm seeing for 4 is 'half baked'.

Now I'm not bashing the tool, so far in my eval of it, I think its great and coming to it with a .NET background and Sharepoint development background, it's pretty straight forward to me, with some exceptions, such as creating a module, what namespaces are needed when creating a module, etc. Now, I'm 100% green in the Sitefinity world so some of these may have been answered or there may be documentation for earlier versions, but I'm using version 4 and when trying to create a new module, etc I shouldn't have to go back to a demo and have everything based off another module such as the news module were it appears everything is based off of that.

Is there any documentation on doing this from scratch and not having to look at the jobs module or base a new module off of an existing one like the news one?

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi DotNetGuy,

Thank you for contacting Telerik support.

Yes, we are aware of the fact that the code given in the tutorials is not complete, and it's among the top tasks on our to-do list to improve this.

Since you mentioned you have the necessary .NET background, what I could recommend you is to reference to the sample Jobs module that's supplied with the SDK, and finish the programmatic part by comparing adding the necessary pieces. Then you can continue by building the module and finishing the tutorial in order to get a better hands-on experience with Sitefinity.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can assist you any further with this service request. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed