Email Notification about New Comments

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 05:41

Email Notification about New Comments

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2011 00:00

In 3.7, you would subscribe to the "Executing" event in the Global.asax like the below snippet. Is it similar in 4.0?

public void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
    Telerik.Cms.Engine.ContentManager.Executing += new EventHandler<Telerik.ExecutingEventArgs>(ContentManager_Executing);

public void ContentManager_Executing(object sender, Telerik.ExecutingEventArgs e)
    // Only execute if a comment is being created.
    if (e.CommandName == "CreateComment")

// Code goes here!

(3.7 details taken from here: http://www.sitefinitywatch.com/blog/09-06-16/Email_Notification_about_New_Blog_Comments.aspx)

I see there is a property called "EmailAuthor" when I go to "Administration > Settings > Advanced > News > Controls > NewsCommentsFrontend > Views > CommentsDetailsView > CommentsDefinition". Does this have anything to do with it (configuration instead of coding)?

Hi bemara57,

EmailAuthor - gets or sets a value indicating if author of the post will be notified via email when a new comment is submitted. If it is true the author of the post will be notified via email when a new comment is submitted; otherwise false.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Ivan,
the below code for 3.7, please I need similar to it in 4.x version ?

Telerik.Cms.Engine.ContentManager.Executing += new EventHandler<Telerik.ExecutingEventArgs>(ContentManager_Executing);
public void ContentManager_Executing(object sender, Telerik.ExecutingEventArgs e)
// Code goes here!

Thanks,
Romany

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Ivan,
the below code for 3.7, please I need similar to it in 4.x version ?

// Code goes here!

Thanks,
Romany

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Romany,

Can you please check the following blog post.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Mar-2012 00:00

Dear Boyan,
I am facing a problem that the event with the same command name called multiple times
which if I want to send a notification email when a new news item created the email will sent 3 times

is there a way to solve this problem (in details solution please) ?

Thanks
Romany

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi,

You can override the data provider and its public methods that are called once where needed and then replace the default data provider through configurations.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Ivan,

1- Please can you give me step by step with code, how to override the data provider for "News" to do the following job: when new item created send an email

2- on the following event in "News" I need to get the newely item created data (title, description) but always all propoerties are empty, why this ?

void Events_Executed(object sender, Telerik.ExecutedEventArgs e)

Thanks,
Romany   

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi,

Ok, if we are not talking about sending notification when comment is posted, then you can use the workflow by modifying its templates. You should customize NotifyStateChanger EmailText in AnyContentApprovalWorkflow.xamlx. Then you have to map customized templates through Sitefinity/Administration/Settings/Advanced >> Workflows.We use Windows Workflow Foundation and these are the XAML files that you can modify in Visual Studio or another XML editor.

sample

public virtual bool NotfiyForNewItem(string name)

EmailSender sen = EmailSender.Get();
           sen.Send(new MailMessage(new MailAddress("mail"), new MailAddress("address")));
           return true;

Have in mind that in standard edition you can have the default workflow only . In the next level - Professional you may have conditional approval steps, safeguards, notifications etc. Here is a related post that you can follow.

If you want to override the data provider here is the code that you can use.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.News;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.News.Data;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.News.Model;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Security;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Model;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Data;

namespace Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples
    public class SitefinityNewsDataProvider : OpenAccessNewsProvider

public override Telerik.Sitefinity.News.Model.NewsItem CreateNewsItem(Guid id)

//return base.CreateNewsItem(id); WE ARE NOT USING THE BASE

var newsItem = new NewsItem(this.ApplicationName, id);
            newsItem.Owner = SecurityManager.GetCurrentUserId();
            ((IDataItem)newsItem).Provider = this;

var securityRoot = this.GetSecurityRoot();
            if (securityRoot != null)

this.providerDecorator.CreatePermissionInheritanceAssociation(securityRoot, newsItem);

else

var msg = Res.Get<SecurityResources>().NoSecurityRoot;
                msg = string.Format(msg, typeof(NewsItem).AssemblyQualifiedName);
                throw new InvalidOperationException(msg);

if (id != Guid.Empty)

this.GetContext().Add(newsItem);

// HERE SEND YOUR EMAIL. YOU HAVE THE NEWS ITEM OBJECT ADDED TO THE CONTEXT
            return newsItem;

When you go to advanced settings you need to expand the News node and open Providers section. There you will find the registration of the default provider and replace it with the custom one that will send an email or make other manipulations with the news item object.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi Ivan Dimitrov,

From the above code while creating a news item the function fires "3" times and for each time i am getting different different guid.

Form the "newsItem" object i cant able to get the "Title","Description" etc. I need to send mail with all those details. Is it possible? If it is possible please provide the sample code for it.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Apr-2012 00:00

Hello,

The NewsItem has a property Status from which you should be able to identify ContentLifecycleStatus

- Master
- Temp
- Live

and send the email.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi Ivan Dimitrov,

Thanks for your fast reply. In that case all the time i am getting the ContentLifecycleStatus status as "Master" and i am not able to get the "Live" item. Please can you suggest me?

Here is my code belloe:

public override Telerik.Sitefinity.News.Model.NewsItem CreateNewsItem(Guid id)

//return base.CreateNewsItem(id); WE ARE NOT USING THE BASE

var newsItem = new NewsItem(this.ApplicationName, id);
            newsItem.Owner = SecurityManager.GetCurrentUserId();
            ((IDataItem)newsItem).Provider = this;

var securityRoot = this.GetSecurityRoot();
            if (securityRoot != null)

this.providerDecorator.CreatePermissionInheritanceAssociation(securityRoot, newsItem);

else

var msg = Res.Get<SecurityResources>().NoSecurityRoot;
                msg = string.Format(msg, typeof(NewsItem).AssemblyQualifiedName);
                throw new InvalidOperationException(msg);

if (id != Guid.Empty)

this.GetContext().Add(newsItem);

if (newsItem.Status == ContentLifecycleStatus.Live)

string sTitle = newsItem.Title;

// HERE SEND YOUR EMAIL. YOU HAVE THE NEWS ITEM OBJECT ADDED TO THE CONTEXT
            return newsItem;

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi Ivan Dimitrov,

Is there any solution for the above code?  Please reply me ASAP.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2012 00:00

I chose the second option to override CreateNewsItem function but my question now as following:
I created a class in the portal called SitefinityNewsDataProvider and override the function as below and go to sitefinity->Lists->settings to register the provider and created a new provider but I found the following fields

Name: SitefinityNewsDataProvider
Title:
ResourceClassID:
ProviderType: ?????????? what is the value for this field

because I tried to assign many values to it but my code didn't fire

Please advise
Thanks,
Romany

This thread is closed