500 - Internal server error (Shared Hosting w/ Full Trust)

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:25

500 - Internal server error (Shared Hosting w/ Full Trust)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2011 00:00

We are trying to push out Sitefinity to a shared hosting environment with full trust permissions. Everything works, except the backend. It seems that anything requiring a "write permission" fails - for example, when I go to Administration > Settings, update the time zone, and click save, I get a popup message that says "500 - Internal server error".  Same thing goes for when I try to update pages, add news items, etc.

The strange thing, is now all of a sudden I am unable to navigate pages, news items, images, etc. I get an error message stating: "Could not deserialize service response, because it was empty or not a valid JSON."

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Few things to note:
- On a shared server so very difficult to troubleshoot
- Full trust enabled
- .NET 4.0
- Tried both x86 and x64
- Full write permissions to App_Data + children (also tried full write to entire directory)
- Full write to database
- More than enough diskspace on the filesystem and db

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2011 00:00

Also, the error logs in App_Data/Sitefinity don't show anything other than "Logging Started".

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Ed,

Can you try to create a content item and then category or taxon. Then check the svc log tracer.
There should be some more information about the actual error.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Aug-2011 00:00

It's been a long while, but I finally had time to revisit this. I tried installing v4.2 on a shared hosting environment, .NET 4.0, with full trust (at MaximumASP/Cbeyond, Cloud Sites platform). Still having the same issues - the frontend seems to work okay, but the backend breaks whenever it needs to write to the database of config file.

I ran the log trace as suggested. The error (all the same when creating a page, news item, or creating a category) states:

Activity: Open ServiceHost 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PagesService
Error: Configuration evaluation context not found.

I was able to get a WCF service to work at this hosting provider in the past. They are also not sure why Sitefinity would be causing such an error and suggested that I try asking Telerik for suggestions. Keep in mind a few things - the hosting provider's shared environment consists of load balanced servers. As instructed by the provider, I setup a machine key in the webconfig and setup SQL-based session state. I've also verified that the App_Data folder is writable by the app pool.

Below is the error in more detail, although - doesn't state all that much outside of the error. If you would like to see the complete log trace, please let me know where to send that to.

Thanks,
Ed Sirijintakarn

<E2ETraceEvent xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/E2ETraceEvent">
<System xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/windows/eventlog/system">
<EventID>524312</EventID>
<Type>3</Type>
<SubType Name="Warning">0</SubType>
<Level>4</Level>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-23T15:53:03.5594807Z" />
<Source Name="System.ServiceModel" />
<Correlation ActivityID="d2101ec8-7b3d-4ff1-99b2-1bd56088312c" />
<Execution ProcessName="w3wp" ProcessID="6804" ThreadID="9" />
<Channel />
<Computer>******************</Computer>
</System>
<ApplicationData>
<TraceData>
<DataItem>
<TraceRecord xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/10/E2ETraceEvent/TraceRecord" Severity="Warning">
<TraceIdentifier>msdn.microsoft.com/.../TraceIdentifier>
<Description>Configuration evaluation context not found.</Description>
<AppDomain>***************</AppDomain>
</TraceRecord>
</DataItem>
</TraceData>
</ApplicationData>
</E2ETraceEvent>

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Aug-2011 00:00

I have exactely the same problem on a VPS.

Backend login works fine. But when ever I want to do someting save a page, add languages I get the error.

I sure would hope someone had an idea on this because at the moment I am clueless. Its a fresh 4.2 installation.

Sorry to say: glad someone else has the same problem.

Just to make sure I did delete my db and made a fresh install.

This is what works

- I can add a comment in my profile
- If i go to my Administration - Users and change the image of my account the image gets uploaded but the saving fails.

Strange. Any idea is welcome. IIS, SQLExpress anything.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

Is there info in the service tracer log?

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Dear Ivan

I have a ticket open. As soon as I have the answers, solutions I will post them here.

Markus

Yes, Please post them here. I am having the same exact problem.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Sep-2011 00:00

I had a similar problem being unable to save any changes to pages or settings that turned out to be my UrlScan config, had to change it to allow PUT and DELETE verbs. Are you using that on your VPS/Hosting?

Dear Ryan

Yes VPS. Any instruction on how to do it or where to look for it?

Markus

If it is installed the config file should be at

%WINDIR%\system32\inetsrv\urlscan\UrlScan.ini

Look for the [AllowVerbs] and [DenyVerbs] sections.

Ryan

Nice to see that I'm not alone on this one.

Don't think UrlScan is enabled where I am at though - and if it were, wouldn't have access to that config file either since it's on a shared environment.

Thanks,
Ed Sirijintakarn

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

Were you able to resolve the issue pertaining to the error "Could not deserialize service response, because it was empty or not a valid JSON?"

We're experiencing the same error when trying to edit or create a page in our staging environment. The entire publish/save as draft/preview toolbar is also missing, and Firebug shows that the edit page throws a Javascript error, "<function name>  is not a function". The odd thing is, this is only happening on staging, not on local machines (with the exact same code base and database, of course).

We're also thinking it's possibly due to an IIS 7 setting?

Thanks,

Wendy

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2011 00:00

Dear Wendy

I ended up deleting the site and db. Creating the project again on the server. Have you checked if you have some tables double in your staging db like dbo. and yourprojectname.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Nov-2011 00:00

Markus, thanks for your reply. We had tried deleting the site and db and re-creating the project. I also checked if there were doubled tables in the staging db, but there weren't. We ended up moving to a different host environment, and that "resolved" the issue.

Wendy

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Nov-2011 00:00

Just wanted to share with you all the solution.

Last night I was in the middle of testing the custom control date picker and the logged-in name textbox for the Sitefinity 4.2 form builder in our dev environment.  The testing was going fine at first, then in the middle of nowhere, I got a JSON error exactly like those mentioned previously in the backend form module -- "Could not deserialize service response, because it was empty or not a valid JSON."

All others backend modules (News, Events, Images, etc.) and frontend site are working perfectly fine.  After many many hours, I think Telerik should pay for those hours that I spent troubleshooting this, replacing code base, restore DB, wiped out the entire Sitefinity, relocated IIS, making changes on MS VS 2010, etc, but to no avail.  Completely disgusted with Sitefinity, and went to bed. 

Woke up this morning after only 4 hours of sleep with a new game plans (most of them targeting the server side because the same code base, DB, Sitefinity version was working fine in our production server).  To cut the story short, I finally found out that there is no problem running the form module from Firefox or any other computers with either IE or Firefox.  The problem is only limited to my computer with IE.  The root cause was the Java Runtime Environment (jre) in my machine.  Not sure why suddenly Sitefinity form module through error out, perhaps some update got pushed to my machine.

So, the solution is to download and upgrade the version 6 jave Update 29 from the link below.

32-bit Java for Windows Internet Explorer

Recommended Version 6 Update 29 (filesize: ~ 11 MB) 
http://java.com/en/download/ie_manual.jsp?locale=en

That will solve your problem.  Alternatively, just use Firefox or run Sitefinity backend from other machine that works.

Sitefinity needs to slow down on new development, and spend more time firming up the current product and enhancing the current features like form builder -- currently this area is very rudimentary. 

Norman

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2017 00:00

Hello: I realize this is an old post - but I've seen this happen several times in our dev environment.  Each time it failed was when the SF backend was attempting a PUT verb. I found that uninstalling WebDAV on the server is what fixed the issue.  SF and WebDAV don't co-exist well.

This thread is closed