Chartiy starter kit - can't attach database

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:05

Chartiy starter kit - can't attach database

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi

I have installed SF 4, downloaded the Charity Starter Kit, opened the solution in VS 2010, tried View in Browser for the ~/default.aspx file, requested a Community Edition license, and then got the following error:

The database '[path to database]' cannot be opened because it is version 661. This server supports version 655 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported. Could not open new database 'D:\WORKWEBS\TELERIK\CHARITY\WEBSITE\APP_DATA\SITEFINITY.MDF'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.

Is this because it won't work with a community license?  Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Andrew

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi,

I believe you need to have SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express) running to attach the database to.

I had the same problem at work as we run SQL Server 2008 so I had to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express along side it to get it running which isn't ideal.

For the guys at Telerik/Sitefinity, would it be possible to have the example sites so that they are compatible with previous versions as not everyone in a development environment is running the latest software?
Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Richard and Andrew,

We have downgraded all starter kits databases to SQL Server 2008 so that you don't experience such problems in future. We will distribute the updated source code with downgraded databases shortly after the service pack release.

Kind regards,
Hristo Borisov
the Telerik team

Hi

Many thanks for that.

By the way, your forums complain about my email address (that has a .info extension).  I can still login, but given that .info has been around for a while...

Andrew

Hi all,

I can not believe it. - I just downloaded all 3 starter kits again. In hope that it would work now, the frustrating experience did not change.  SITFINITY.MDF cannot be opended .... because of version 661. BUT: My server has version 612 installed.

I think that sitefinity forgot the situation of their customers ... we only get bad implementations....

Hey Robert,

I don't think we've uploaded the "downgraded" starter kits yet.  I believe we're planning to do that with the SP1 release (later this week).  This is why you're still getting the message.  

--

To speak to your concerns, the starter kits were created to give developers a sample project to play with (typically on their local machine).  Most of us who were involved with the Starter Kits were developing against SQL Server Express 2008 R2 (which is a free download).  In my mind, it felt like developers could easily download SQL Express 2008 R2 (again, it's free) to play with these starter kits.

However, you're describing a use-case where you're deploying a starter kit to a server.  This isn't wrong, but it's not what I was envisioning as our use case.  Incidentally, these starter kits also use user-instances (~/App_Data) for the database.  These user-instances are typically a bad idea on a server.  By contrast, you would typically use a real database on a server.

We're downgrading the database because, based on feedback, 2008 R2 is more current than the average developer has installed.  However, I'm not convinced this will fully address your scenario.  If you want to launch the starter kit on a server, then you need to convert the user-instance database to a real database.

--

No one involved in this thread should consider this a show-stopping problem though.  There are accessible workarounds until we get the database downgraded:

1.  Install SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on your local workstation  (get it through the Web Platform Installer)
2.  Use SQL Server Management Studio Express to attach the MDF Starter Kit database
3.  Use the Export Data feature to export data from the Starter Kit MDF to your server database
4.  Update the connection string in ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configurations/DataConfig.config

If needed, I can record a video showing this process.  This is an accessible solution for downgrading (transferring) the database to a older version of SQL Server.  Hopefully this will help.  Otherwise, we should have the updated (outdated?) starter kits available in a couple of days.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Hi Gabe,

please have a look what Hristo wrote 12 hours ago: "WE HAVE DOWNGRADED ALL STARTER KITS DATABASES ....."  and he did not write we will do this with the service pack (that is always in delay) ......

How could we believe any longer what you tell us --- all nice stories but not helpful and time wasting.

Second, if you offer a starter kit as a showcase of your technique, please that us decide for ourselves where and at which computer we as customers want to install and analyze this. - Fact is, that starter kits are not running out of the box. There are always some problems .....

So, you know that we are dependent from all what you tell us and what you deliver. - Please listen to us as customers and do not force us to do things that we do not want to do.

We need well and smart running components as Telerik Rad Tools ASP.NET AJAX if offering this and not high sophisticated but not functioning tools and systems like SF Version 4.

Regards, Robert

> Please listen to us as customers and do not force us to do things that we do not want to do.

We're listening.

Are there any other changes (aside from downgrading the databases) that you're proposing?

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Hi Gabe,

please have a look at my trouble tickets.

In 2009 I decided to go with Telerik about the perfect Rad Tools ASP.NET AJAX. - These tools are really easy to use and time saving. - It was a great chance to be productive. - I am not a hard core developer and therefore it was so fine to have a productive toolset. 

Then Telerik decided to buy the Sitefinity Company and we got two different solutions, as I mean we got two different companies offered. - And while Version 3.x Sitefinity always told us, that everything will be fine with SF 4.x - So we had to wait. - In January 2010 Sitefinity promoted the rollout before summer, in summer they published the rollout in autumn, then in autumn Sitefinity promised (!) it would com in 2010. - As wee all know, it came on january 14th 2011 but ...... very futuristic if you only want to use it as a normal content management tool and with only one language. 

Features that we need in Europe, multi language for instance  does not work with the search feature, the Telerik navigation menu tool does not hide page where you check "do not show in navigation", and .... the worst thing is:

Telerik GRID does not fire. - No updates, deletes and so are working. - Your advice to build special and difficult workarounds is bringing us away and off from an easy to use and  productive toolset.  Telerik and Sitefinity is not ONE company solution until today. - Look at your own www.telerik.com - you have embedded sitefinity, but you for yourself did not upgrade your website to SF 4.0 until today. - And I think I know why: because Telerik tools do not work without errors in SF 4.0.

Sorry, but we cannot wait for well done solutions longer as a year. - At the moment we are dependent, but you can imagine we are looking for solutions of other vendors, where we do not have such problems.

Regards, Robert

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2011 00:00

Well,  it is my turn. I cannot believe that I am doing this as I have been a huge supporter of Sitefinity but here it goes. First of all I am definetly having issues with using the new 4.0 for just a design purpose. I have yet to begin even trying an developing. I am trying to just get my main page set up and working in 4.0 without success. I have Master files that I have tried using in the 4.0 with Themes and Templates without success. SO I then downloaded the Sitefinity Migration tool. I have tried 3 times using 3 different sitefinity projects without success. I have followed the directions step by step. No Luck. So here I am still stuck. Not understanding how to properly set up my pages in 4,0 for design using Master pages, css files, javascript files, and my themes and templates. So then I remembered the starter kits. I can download the starter kits. get them running and see how everything is setup on designing my main page. HAHAHA. I have downloaded all 3 starter kits without any success, Each time I open one up in VS 2010 and try to view in browser I get an error. So now I am 'stuck like chuck', twiddling my thumbs not knowing what to do. Support response has went from 32 hours now to 3  to 4 days. And still cannot get my last issue resolved from my ticket. I just keep getting the response of see this forum post""" . This should answer your question. And then I also remember the price is going up. Going up for what??? Maybe time to start looking elsewhere also. I hate to as I really have had some good luck with 3.7 until lately. I even got so excited about Sitefinity that I created a control but it do not get approved as I did not make easy for non-developer to use. Sorry guys, I have a full-time job and always doing to extracurricular activity so did not have the time to finish up the module. I am in a real dilemma as I really want to use Sitefinity and have it work but I am at a standstill not knowing what to do next

This thread is closed