Page permissions for custom role

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:24

Page permissions for custom role

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi all,

I have created a role and I want its users to be able to do the following:

1. Create/modify/delete pages within a certain branch.
2. Create news stories and modify/delete only stories create by someone in their role.

I can't figure out how to accomplish either of these--everything I do just leaves the user with the Dashboard link on the back end page.

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Zak,

In order for your customRole to see the Pages tab , you have to go to Administration >> Backend Pages and set there the permissions accordingly. From then on I'll try to give you some pieces of advice how to achieve the desired functionality.

1. Create/modify/delete pages within a certain branch - in general you can set create/modify/delete permissions for the whole Pages section. You can give your role View permissions to Pages, and then set additional permissions only to the desired branch (from Pages >> Actions >>Permissions of the Parent page).

2. Create news stories and modify/delete only stories create by someone in their role - that is a tough one, unfortunately such permission rule is not implemented, what I could advise you is to give your customRole permissions to create news, and then maybe individually set the permissions to the news items this role can edit, as a workaround, because giving your customRole modify/delete permissions will be global for all news stories.

I hope this helps you achieve the desired functionality, if you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Boyan,

I appreciate the feedback--one clarification I need. How does one set permissions on Backend Pages. I went to Administration -> Backend Pages and it took me to the Pages page, and the URL was different, but I don't see anything to set permissions with. The list of pages is my front end pages.

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Zak,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm attaching a sample video to show you how I've set my pages permissions and the effect it has - please note it's just a sample configuration, and you can modify it in any way you find suitable.

I hope this information helps. I will be glad to assist you further.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Feb-2011 00:00

This is very strange--yesterday clicking on backend pages was going to the same URL but the page list was my front end pages. Today, it's working properly. Nonetheless, I was able to fix my problem. Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2011 00:00

Is this still working? 

In 4.1 if I follow these steps my test role is still not able to edit pages.  The Pages option does not show up in the menu.  I can see Dashboard, Content and Analytics using these steps but it does not work for Pages.

Any help from Telerik?

Anthony

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2011 00:00

Hi Anthony,

Can you, please, try giving your role edit/modify/create permissions for Pages - the logic we have implemented i 4.1 is that if you do not have any permissions to edit/modify/create any pages then all you would see in the Pages grid is all pages greyed out, which doesn't make much sense. Please try the proposed solution and do not hesitate to write back if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

That may be a workaround, but I absolutely do not want to give users the rights to create and modify pages.  I have 141 users that would be creating pages like there is no tomorrow. 

Right now I have created all of my pages and added Content Blocks to their pages and only want them to be able to edit what is in that content block for the specific pages their role has rights to.  I don't want them to have the ability to create another page simply because they want to, especially to then be able to put it anywhere in the site hierarchy they see appropriate. 

Is there a way to do this without giving them rights to modify/create/delete pages and to only edit them?

I have gone in and given my role create/edit/modify/delete rights for the backend Pages permissions, as well as give them the same permission for the frontend pages they will need to edit.  I am still not getting the Pages link to show up in the top of the page.  Only Dashboard and Content.

Please help.

Anthony

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2011 00:00

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for getting back to us.

To make the Pages menu visible for the users you need to go to "Permissions for all pages" (see attached) and then give modify permissions to the specific role or user.  
The Pages link will become visible in the menu and all pages will become accessible. If you want to deny access to some of the pages you can do this separately for every page from its permissions menu.

Greetings,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2011 00:00

Got it.  Seems to be working now.

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jun-2011 00:00

Am I to understand that if I want to allow a user to maintain 10 pages out of 150 on my site, I have to give them modify permissions to all and then restrict them from the other 140, one by one??

Zak, I h ad the exact same problem! Luckily it seems to be fixed in the latest internal build, and it's working fine just like it's supposed to.

*sigh* great. Does this also apply to image libraries? Allow modify to all and then restrict all but one?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi ZK,

Yes, that's the proper way to set the permissions so you'll restrict access to albums. By the way this functionality should not have changed from our 4.1 Official release until now, have you experienced any specific issues with it?

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jun-2011 00:00

Boyan,

No it just seems clunky. I'm just now getting into the security and permissions end of Sitefinity due to a bug I was experiencing for the longest time making me unable to create users.

This thread is closed