SP 1 Upgrade error - Cannot load file or assemply Telerik.Si

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:52

SP 1 Upgrade error - Cannot load file or assemply Telerik.Sitefinity

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Mar-2011 00:00

Getting the following error after upgrading to SP 1. Any ideas what went wrong?

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1098.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1098.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1098.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.0.1098.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetType(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, ObjectHandleOnStack type) +0
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +146
   System.Web.UI.Util.GetTypeFromAssemblies(IEnumerable assemblies, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase) +184
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +567
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities.TypeConverters.TypeResolutionService.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) +462
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.SystemManager.InitializeModule(ModuleSettings settings, InstallContext installContext, Boolean start) +142
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.SystemManager.Initialize() +1023
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes) +271
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +111
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +29
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModulesCommon() +192
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +1507
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +348
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +200
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +286

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

It simply means that the project is somehow (somewhere) still looking for the old 4.0 assemblies.  

This is a very general .NET error and fixing it requires removing the outdated assembly references and adding the updated assemblies.

--

What procedure did you use to upgrade the web site?

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Do you perhaps have a custom assembly project linked in to the solution that also needs to have it's references updated?

Using the instructions, I did the following:

Replaced the Project Manager with the new file that I downloaded from my account. I ran project manager, verified it was the new version.

I selected my project and clicked Upgrade. Reported back at 100%.

I went into Visual Studio and clicked the button to run, and it reported back that error.

(Just as a heads up, I'm a designer by nature and not a programmer, so I'm still learning as I go with the assemebly references and such).

I don't think I have anything custom. Unless the Migration Tool would be causing problems?  The project was originally a 3.7, used the migration tool, and went from there.

I have another project that was not migrated. I can try that and see if it works.

I just tried another test project that I had lying around and it seems to have worked. The main difference is that one was an upgrade and the other started from scratch.

Not sure if this helps at all.. If I click on Go to Administration from the Project Manager, I get this error instead:

The type String cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The type String cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: The type String cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.]
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.GuardTypeIsNonPrimitive(IBuilderContext context, SelectedConstructor selectedConstructor) +277
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +485
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +434
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlanCreatorPolicy.CreatePlan(IBuilderContext context, NamedTypeBuildKey buildKey) +400
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +222
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +434
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuilderContext.NewBuildUp(NamedTypeBuildKey newBuildKey) +318
   BuildUp_Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager(IBuilderContext ) +220
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +304
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +440

[ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager", name = "OpenAccessDataProvider".
Exception occurred while: while resolving.
Exception is: InvalidOperationException - The type String cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager,OpenAccessDataProvider
  Resolving parameter "providerName" of constructor Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager(System.String providerName, System.String transactionName)
    Resolving System.String,(none)
]
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +546
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +20
   Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerExtensions.Resolve(IUnityContainer container, String name, ResolverOverride[] overrides) +91
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.GetManager(String providerName, String transactionName) +372
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SiteMapBase.Initialize(String name, NameValueCollection attributes) +754
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SiteMapBase.GetSiteMapProvider(String rootName) +395
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityRoute.GetRouteData(HttpContextBase httpContext) +60
   System.Web.Routing.RouteCollection.GetRouteData(HttpContextBase httpContext) +381
   System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.PostResolveRequestCache(HttpContextBase context) +63
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +182
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +256

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Mar-2011 00:00

Did you end up finding a solution to this? I ran in to the same error, and I too am a designer still learning the ropes...

Not yet, Apollo, but I'm sure I'll get a response (though maybe not until after the holiday).

Did you also use the migration tool?

oh yeah, I forgot about the holiday...

I used the migration tool to get from 3.7 to 4 (with a lot of troubles...), but I wouldn't have thought it would effect anything...

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2011 00:00

Apollo-

Try removing everything related to the Migration tool. I removed everything from the webconfig file, the system config file, and the services folder. The upgrade worked after that.

- A

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Mar-2011 00:00

Thanks to this post, I deleted Migration.dll from my sf4 bin folder, and that fixed the problem.  This dll was left over from migration from sf37sp4 to 4.0.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2011 00:00

I removed the migration tool and it all worked, thanks a lot for the tip!

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2011 00:00

Glad to help you both!

This thread is closed