Categories widget - limiting to existing categories

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:41

Categories widget - limiting to existing categories

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Mar-2011 00:00

I am utilizing classification for both the blogs and the news module. I have specific categories that will related to only blog posts and specific categories that will relate only to news posts.

When I add the category widget to the page, it displays every category, even if there are no items for that cateogry. For example, "company news" would only ever be used for the news module. However, on the blog page, it displays as an option in the category list.

In addition, when I display the count, it says there are 1 item under this category even though there are no blog posts related to this category (there is 1 news item, but that does not apply to the blog post page).

Any suggestions?

Hi Amanda,

I am not able to replicate the issue with TaxonomyControl and the way that contents are filtered using the latest internal build. If a given category is not used it is not shown on the font end.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

By latest internal build, are you referring to SP 1?  I'm currently having issues upgrading, so I do not have SP 1 installed.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Amanda,

Yes, I am using SP1. You can actually trying to download a trial and install it just for a test, so you can get the ProjectManager only which is about 40 MB file. 

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan,
Thank you for the response.

The SP1 upgrade issue is actually another issue all together (reported here: www.sitefinity.com/.../sp-1-upgrade-error-cannot-load-file-or-assemply-telerik-sitefinity.aspx )

I have another install that is working and will test the Category widget there.  Thank you.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2011 00:00

I have a similar issue using Sitefinity 4.0 SP1.  I have created a blog, created some posts in that blog, & assigned these posts to some categories (Blog Category 1, Blog Category2, etc..).  On our page that displays blog posts, I only want the categories for that particular blog to show up (since we will have multiple blogs in one Sitefinity instance). 

It seems that the category control under classifications in the toolbox is showing all categories (image categories, news categories, blog categories, etc.). 

I thought maybe I could go to Content --> All Classifications & create a new classification name Blog Categories, then use that to create categories for my blogs, but when I edit a blog post I don't see that new classification there.  Also in the categories control, I didn't see a way to display only categories for a particular blog or news item.

Can anyone tell me what I missing here?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Amanda Shafer,

There is no specific news or blog categories. Currently there is no way cassification widget to "know" what categories are used in the page.

Best wishes,
the Telerik team

Ok, I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.....

If I create a blog in Sitefinity 4.0, & want to list the categories that of course only contain blog post, is there any way to do that?  Also, when creating a blog post, all of the categories created in Sitefinity show up?  Is there a way to only show blog categories when creating a post.  It doesn't make sense to show users 10 - 15 categories when only 3 of them relate to blog post.

If I remember correctly, Sitefinity 3.7 allowed me to list only blog categories on my blog page.  Obviously I wouldn't want news, image, or document categories to show up on the blog page.

Thanks,

Brian

Could anyone verify if this is correct?

This is the issue that I am facing. I've upgraded the version, but it seems that this is the correct behavior for this widget.

If so, then the widget is not particularly useful if you have multiple categories across the different content types.

Hey Amanda,

I was able to get my blog page working with the categories widget.  Below are the steps I used:

1. Create the blog, assign it to a page.  Use the blog post widget on that page to display posts.
2. Drag the Categories widget into the same page, edit that widget & find the ContentType property.  Type Telerik.Sitefinity.Blogs.Model.BlogPost into the ContentType property box.  Once I saved the widget, only the categories that had blog post assigned to them populated.

I had to search around forever to find the answer.  FINALLY found this page.. http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/user-guide/displaying-content-using-widgets/navigation-widgets-group/configuring-the-archive-widget.aspx

Hope this helps!

Brian

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2011 00:00

That did it! Thanks!

This thread is closed