<asp:contentplaceholder id="Header" runat="server" />
     </div>
     <div id="Content">
         <asp:contentplaceholder id="Content" runat="server" />
     </div>
     <div id="Footer">
         <asp:contentplaceholder id="Footer" runat="server" />
     </div>

No i created a template from this master file.

Since SF 4.0 has this great feature of Layout where users can change the layout I need to look down certain ContentPlaceholder in Pages, but not in Design Templates.

So after importing the .master I might want to add some text in the Header but don't want the user to be able to change the layout of header later under pages.

In 3.7 if you added content in the templates the user was not able to add controls there.

Hope you know what I mean.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support.

The easiest solution would be to set different permissions over the different layout sections, and thus the users who lack proper permissions will not be able to modify them.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can assist you any further with this service request. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2011 00:00

Dear Boyan

Thanks for your replay.

a) Am I correct that in order to do this I would have to drag a 100% into my contentplaceholder, since native there are no options to set permissions.

b) what settings would I have to change to disable the possibility to change anything (see screenshot)

Markus

PS: I was trying to have my own masterpage because I don't like the templates to be stored in the DB. But if this is the only way to go, I have to design the templates in SF anyhow.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Markus Berchtold,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Yes, you are right that  in order to do this you have to drag a 100% layout into the contentplaceholder and then set the permissions. However, while researching this functionality we found some suspicious behavior related to adding widgets to the layout and logged it as a bug. You can check it in PITS here.

The settings depend on the span of control you would like to give to your users, and the roles they belong to. In my scenario I have one administrator who has global contorl, so I have restricted all the permissions to Administrators only.

Regarding your last question, you might still use master pages if you wish to do some fine-tuning to your template, but yes, you do need to add layout elements in Sitefinity to be able to set their permissions accordingly.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Thanks Boyan

I do appreciate your detailed feedback. Can you tell me in what tabel the layouts are saved in the DB?

Markus

---------------------------------------------

There goes the Queen song again. Try to sing it

Bum     bum         bum
Another one finds a bug

bum       bum        bum
Another one finds a bug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Hi Markus

You should look in [sf_object_data] table where [content_id] is Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.LayoutControl

It was pleasure for me to assist you. Wish you a great day.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2011 00:00

Has anything changed in 4.2 in regard to setting layout element permissions?  I cannot find where that interface is.

I have looked through all the sections I can think of, checked the global permission areas and checked on the layout elements themselves.  The closest thing I found was widget permissions, but I have seen people posting screenshots of Layout Element permissions.

I have a separate thread asking how this is being done in the Intranet starter kit as I noticed they dropped a 100% layout element into a placeholder.  I get errors when I try to view permissions on that starter kit and am wondering if something might have been taken out in 4.2 that would cause an issue if there had previously been permissions set on a layout element in an earlier version.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Stacey,

Thank you for getting back to me. That's a tough one, in Sitefinity 4.2 you'll be able to set permissions on who will be able to "Add widgets and layout elements to the page and its child pages" , however permissions per layout element is a whole feature that will be implemented for one of the future releases. Please excuse us for the inconvenience, if any has been caused.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

This thread is closed