Exclude page from Search Index

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:05

Exclude page from Search Index

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Mar-2011 00:00

Hey all,

Is there a simple way to exclude pages from a static page search index?  Back in 3.x you could uncheck "index this page" and it would not be included in search results.

Looking for a simple way to drop a certain page out of the results indexing.

Thanks

- William

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello William,

When you create a new page you can specify whether to include this page in the index. This could be done from "Advances" section. I attached a screenshot for your convenience.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Mar-2011 00:00

Hey Ivan,

On reading this thread, I get that "allow search engines to index this page" affect not only Sitefinity's internal indexing and search but also external search engines like Google.  What I need is for Google to still find the page, but for the site's internal index not to index it in a search.

Is that possible, or am I misunderstanding the thread?

Thanks much

- William

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi William,

When you check the chechbox this adds <meta name="robots" content="noindex" /> in the page header.
If you want to exclude a cms page from the internal index, you need to create a custom class that inherits from PagePipe and override ConvertImportedItemForMapping where you can implement your filter.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2011 00:00

Dear Ivan

Seem there are other people whishing for a exclude from SF search engine - checkbox.

Put it up on PITS so we can vote.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Mar-2011 00:00

Thanks, Ivan.

Actually your method for removing pages from indexing did the trick for me.

- William

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi all,

The request was added to PITs and will show in the system tomorrow.
You can find it by title:
Option to exclude  page from internal Sitefinity search and not from external search crawlers

and vote for it.

Regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2011 00:00

Dear Kalina

Thanks for adding it to PITS.

I like the possibility to exclude from external Search Engines so I would like to see an ADDITONAL exclude for SF search engines  - not an istead off.

Regards Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Markus ,

Your comment was added to the description of the PITs item here.
We wil take into consideration when we make the implementation.

Regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Sep-2011 00:00

Hey all,
I setup permissions to a page and set the View property to allow Administrators only.  I then logged out, searched for and found the page.  When I clicked the link I got an error message "This type of page is not served".  Should pages be displayed in search results if the current user does not have View permissions?

-Devin

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2014 00:00

We have started a discussion on this feature and would like to invite you to share your feedback here: 

www.sitefinity.com/.../exclude-pages-from-sitefinity-search

We will be happy to hear your specific cases and scenarios in regards to excluding pages from SiteFinity search. 

Thank you in advance.
Charl

This thread is closed