Converting Sitefinty 3.x controls to 4.x widgets

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:44

Converting Sitefinty 3.x controls to 4.x widgets

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Mar-2011 00:00

I have a ton of custom controls which I've created for various Sitefinity 3.x projects over the years.  They'll all need to be updated if I'm going to use them in version 4.x but I don't see a ton of information on creating or updating widgets in the new version.

The first control I'm trying to convert would be this one:
www.sitefinity.com/.../clickable-image-control.aspx

It's a very simple control which allows the user to select an image and a link using Sitefinity 3.x's built in "WebEditors". 

The WebEditors don't appear to exist in 4.x so how can I create a very simple control like this? 

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Jay,

We have changed the approach, and do not use WebEditors anymore. 
Could you please take a look at this post - http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/slavoingilizov/posts/11-02-11/creating_a_thumbnail_selector_for_news_items.aspx

I think it will give you an idea.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Apr-2011 00:00

Thanks for the link Georgi.  However, that seems like a much more complicated approach... and it also appears to generate a custom list of images.  Is there no way to just re-use the nice Sitefinity dialogs for image and link selection the way that we used to?

I'm trying really hard to love Sitefinity 4 but it seems like everything has been made much more complicated than before.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Jay,

I sent a reply to your support request.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Apr-2011 00:00

This approach is quite easy, huh? If this is a simple approach to place a simple button to select a file, I wonder how will be more difficult things.

Not to mention that there is a huge amount of bugs in this version (4.0 SP1) where I would take hours to report to you all.

I probably made ​​a mistake in adopting this new version. :(

This thread is closed