Pages Module Backend - Hide Pages A User Cannot Edit

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:10

Pages Module Backend - Hide Pages A User Cannot Edit

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi,

I have various users who are in charge of different sections of a website, and based on their permissions can edit their corresponding pages.  In SF 3.7, the Pages Module displayed a Site Map, and only displayed the pages that the user was able to view/edit.  This worked perfectly.

In 4.0, the Pages Module seems to display every single page, and simply grays out pages that are not viewable or editable for a given user.  Is there anyway to hide certain pages from users based on permissions?  I would like for my users to only see a list of the pages they are able to edit when they view the Pages Module.

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Brad,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support.

If a parent page is set as non-navigable it will not be part of the SiteMap - this means that when you try to bind the menu to a non existing node you would get an error.

Instead of binding your widget to a SiteMapDataSource control you can bind it to a collection of pages which later you can use to retrieve the child pages a page using the pages API (either fluent or native) and hide them.

The ability to automatically hide pages for users who are not allowed to view them is planned for Q2.

I hope this information helps. I will be happy to assist you if you have any further questions.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Victor,

Thank you for the explanation.

Can you possibly review the steps needed to accomplish the idea you've outlined?

Instead of using the Pages module, would I create a new module?  How would I bind a collection of pages to the new widget?  Would I then have a different module for each group of users with different permissions to different pages?  Can you show an example of what the code would look like to retrieve the child pages and hide them?

Thanks!
Brad

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Brad,

Are you trying to hide the pages from the navigational controls or from the backend of Sitefinity administration page?

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

I am trying to hide the pages in the backend Administration / "Pages" page.  Our site has over 1,000 pages (all of which are public), broken into 20-30 parent pages which can contain the permissions for all of their children.  When our authors visit the "Pages" page in the backend, they need to see a list of only the pages they can edit.

Thanks again,
Brad

I just wanted to chime in and second this request. While our site isn't as big as Brad's, it's big enough that this would be a help.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Brad and Zak,

You can set different roles and permissions to members who you want to be able to edit specific categories of pages. If some editors are not allowed to edit some pages they will be grayed out - this is by design. However these users will not be able to edit, delete or create pages in the grayed out categories.

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Victor,

I think I understand how the page's permissions works - I was primarily asking if there was a way to have the pages not display instead of being grayed out.  I thought there might be a setting to edit somewhere, or a file that contains this logic that can be easily altered.

For sites with a large number of pages I'll need some sort of way to filter the list of pages, to only display relevant pages to users.

Thanks,
Brad

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Brad,

Currently Sitefinity supports this type of restriction but I will log it in our system as a wanted feature so our teams can plan it for near future.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed