time to run Migration Tool from 3.7 to 4.0

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:59

time to run Migration Tool from 3.7 to 4.0

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Apr-2011 00:00

How long should the Migration Tool take to run when migrating from 3.7 to 4.0?

The website we are trying to migrate has less than 100 pages and less than 200 news items, but it seems to be taking hours to run.

Thank You,
Jason

Takes a long time, and almost never works right at the moment :)

Since it's webservices talking together, I guess it depends on latency a bit

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you narrow it down a bit more? A long time as in hours, days, weeks? If I let it run over the weekend, should that be enough time?

Jason

Well look...if I'm being honest, the migration tool isn't ready for prime time...I had such a bad experience with it I never want to touch it again.

I tried it a version or two ago and ended up with duplicate blog posts, or posts somehow both published and in draft mode...

Have a look here

Hi Jason,

I had the same issue when running the Migration Tool on a fairly small Sitefinity 3.7 site and I came to this conclusion: if you see it hang for more than about a minute or 2 in the same state without any change in the %s loading, it's not going to work. For some reason, it hung on me twice and then on the 3rd time worked and went really quickly. Like Steve, I also gave up on using it since there were a lot of pieces not handled correctly. However, if you are going to use it, one very good piece of advice I got from Basem Emara was this:

Do NOT import everything at once. Do libraries first.. once that is successful, then for generic content.. once that is successful.. then themes/templates.. once that is successful.. then pages. Reason is because if one section fails, then subsequent imports will get corrupted. For example, if the templates fail to migrate, but continue on to migrate the pages, then pages will have no templates. You will pretty much have to start over at that point (or delete the pages and do it again).

Good luck!
Peter

This thread is closed