Site works, but remote Administration does not

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:10

Site works, but remote Administration does not

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Apr-2011 00:00

I think I need a little help.
I have tried so many things, so finally I installed the Project manager on the production server. Here is what I have done:
1. Created a new project on the server.
2. Created a virtual directory for the site.
3. Gave "modify" permission to App_Data folder for my App pool
4. Added wildcard application mapping as instructed

Result: site works just fine and I can admin the site from Project Manager on the server.

The problem:
If I enter ..myapp/Sitefinity from a remote computer I get the logon screen and I can log on, but whatever I try to modify, an error message popping up saying "Error". This box pops ut until I kill Internet Explorer with the Taskmanager. 
It seems that I can only administrate the page if I use Project manager (that use the Telerik developement server), not IIS. It may also be a permission problem, but I do not know what to try next. Anybody who can help me?

Red: I have Windows Server 2003 + IIS6

Atle

Hello Atle,

If you can provide some more description about the "Error" this would help to give you some hints.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Hi!
The error is just "Error". Its a small popupmessage showing "Error" (nothing else). It won't go away no matter how many times I close the box, so I have to kill it. That message comes when I go to ex. "Pages" from Dashboard.

Also, if I select Inplace edit (Show Editing Tools) , I get a popupmessage "Undefined".

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Atle,

Please observe the HTTP request and response. Enable service tracer log and see if there is an error there

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Apr-2011 00:00

Thanks!
I have now solved the problem! At the same time some other major problems we had on the server are gone. 

We had UrlScan 2.5 installed. From the UrlScan log file I could see it had blocked "URL's with "." in the path". We uninstalled URLScan and then we got a good descriptive errormessage instead of just "Error".
The problem turned out to be that we had both "Anonymous" AND "Integrated Windows authentication" activated in the Directory Security tab in IIS6. It seems that caused the problem.

Regards, and thank you for helping!

This thread is closed