HTML 5 Video for iOS error

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:15

HTML 5 Video for iOS error

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2011 00:00

I'm working on converting my video libraries for both a Sitefinity 3.7 project and a Sitefinity 4 project to be capable of displaying on devices running iOS. I've hit a bit of a road block due to the way the library handlers work. I've setup some custom video player user controls to display the video using Sublime Video as opposed to Silverlight, I have also setup a library that only allows the upload of .mp4 or .m4v files. I've added the appropriate mime-types for these video files to IIS as well. When I serve one of these files from the filesystem (not using Sitefinity but IIS) the videos display correctly, but when I use the built-in Sitefinity library handlers to serve the video they become unplayable on iOS devices.

I've debugged this in iOS and I get an error message that specifies BYTE_RANGE_ERROR_MESSAGE, this occurs for both versions of Sitefinity. From what I understand this error occurs due to Sitefinity's library handler not supporting partial file requests which is mandatory for iOS.

I guess I'm at a point at which I need to figure out what is the best way of allowing my filesystem stored videos within my Sitefinity libraries to be served from IIS as opposed to the Sitefinity library handlers. Does anyone have any experience doing this, or does someone from the Sitefinity team have any insights on this?

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Michael ,

Our handlers are based on ASP.NET HttpHandlers. There are some methods that allows to extract and serve the content properly from the Content object. I am not sure that the base IHttpHandler allows you serving proper request under iOS.

If you have files entirely stored on the file system, then are not processed by our handlers.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

hey i have experienced the same thing. the only way i found out how to do it was not use sitefinity to serve the videos...meaning put them on youtube or another server and link to them that way.

they will not work in sitefinity and it's probably not worth your time to even try and make it work. btw i am using jwplayer to switch between html 5 or flash serving mp4 files.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2011 00:00

just to add to this - because this is something we should have working in such an expensive cms...i too have tried both 4 and 3.7.

here is a post i've made with header info on the same video embedded on a page 2 times. once from the library and one from the files system.

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-3-x/general-discussions/mp4-uploaded-to-image-document-library.aspx

as expected the library one will not play on ios,(ipad/iphone) but does work on android. while the filesystem streams to every device and browser just fine. i'm using jwplayer to switch between flash or html5 depending on the browser.

This thread is closed