Web Portal

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 06:33

Web Portal

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello,

We have been using Telerik for several years and am now interested in Sitefinity. We will need to support approximately 200 sales regions across the USA. Each region will require its own website. I am hoping that sitefinity can support this. I have read through the licesning and understand that the Enterprise license would work best given that each region will have one or more content authors.

1. Each site/region will need to be autonomous i.e. user/content authers only see thier content.
2. I would need to be able to support sub-domains: www.region1.main.com
3. Can I use a domain alias i.e. www.region1.com redirects to www.region1.main.com?
4. Are there recommended examples for accomplishing this sort of Portal solution.
5. Does sitefintiy have authentication controls (regular user login) that can use Microsoft Membership & Role Provider?
6. Sales question: will the annual licensing renew cost be roughly the same as the original purchase price?
7. Sales question: if we choose to not renew does that cause any problems with an existing sitefinity site?

Thank you!

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2011 00:00

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your post. As we spoke on the phone on Tuesday, the short answer to the question whether this scenario is possible is: Yes. Moreover, we have a very elegant solution that can cover precisely what you would like to achieve with Sitefinity and we will be demonstrating that in more detail during our Sitefinity web meeting tomorrow.

Regards,
Petya
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2011 00:00

Hi,

I am also interested in creating a solution like this, you discuss the imminent web meeting, is this demonstration available to view anywhere

Cheers
Anthony

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2011 00:00

I'd be interested in more information in the solution as well. This sounds perfect for my organization.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2011 00:00

Hi Anthony and Mark,

@Anthony: We haven't recorded our this demo, unfortunately.

@Both: There are plenty of options to achieve, what Jeff described in his post. For instance you can use different Sitefinity projects for the different regions. Let's imagine we have one Sitefinity license with the registered top-level domain: domain.com and 2 different regions and want each of those to run on a separate Sitefinity application. In this case www.domain.com could resolve our homepage, region1.domain.com and region2.domain.com could resolve the homepages of the respective region. Needless to say that you can redirect www.region1.com to region1.domain.com afterwards.

Another option could be, that we want all region homepages to run on a single Sitefinity application, but the different sub domains should resolve different homepages. In this case we could create different nodes in the sitemap of Sitefinity and use the PagesConfig.config file to specify the homepage for each sub domain. There is a workaround in IIS for this purpose. We could create, for instance, 3 different Web Sites in IIS (let's say Home, Region1, Region2) pointing to the same Sitefinity application. The only difference is the PagesConfig.config file of the three IIS Websites, where the home page is set.

Greetings,
Stanislav
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2011 00:00

Hi Stanislav,

Thats great news, this is the solution i was looking for, could you provide a demo of how to alter the pages.config per domain?

Another option could be, that we want all region homepages to run on a single Sitefinity application, but the different sub domains should resolve different homepages. In this case we could create different nodes in the sitemap of Sitefinity and use the PagesConfig.config file to specify the homepage for each sub domain. There is a workaround in IIS for this purpose. We could create, for instance, 3 different Web Sites in IIS (let's say Home, Region1, Region2) pointing to the same Sitefinity application. The only difference is the PagesConfig.config file of the three IIS Websites, where the home page is set.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2011 00:00

Hello Anthony Kallay,

Sure! We would be very glad to schedule a personal demo for you. I just sent you an email with more details about this.

Best wishes,
Stanislav
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 26-May-2011 00:00

I don't know if it is still possible, but I would like to see this demo also?

Best regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2011 00:00

Hello Daniel,

I just created a blog post with the configuration instructions. Please find it here.

Regards,
Stanislav
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 04-May-2012 00:00

Hello,
 We have an requirement where we have to show the content based on the location. If the customer chooses Virginia, we have to show the Virginia pages. Once he is in Virginia and chooses any City in this state, we need to show the content based on the selection.
 The site will have 5-6 pages(Home, rent, about us, Renew and Contact us). And the pages have to change content based on the below possible URL's.
 The Possible Site URL will be like
www.mydomain.com
www.mydomain.com/Virginia
www.mydomain.com/Virginia/Richmond
www.mydomain.com/Virginia/Hopewell
www.mydomain.com/Virginia/Williamsburg
www.mydomain.com/Texas
www.mydomain.com/Texas/Houston
www.mydomain.com/Texas/SanAntonio
 So for ex: Renew page should have content different if they are in between  ( www.mydomain.com/Virginia, www.mydomain.com/Virginia/Richmond and  www.mydomain.com/Virginia/Hopewell)
 Things that we have to keep in mind are
1) We have to set one site.
2) We do not want to create sub domains and get into issue of more domains.
3) We want to avoid having duplicate pages
 Can you please let us know how we can achieve this function using SiteFinity??

This thread is closed