Questions about switching templates

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:37

Questions about switching templates

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-May-2011 00:00

Hello,

I started a website using a template based on a sitefinity template (no custom masterpage). So far, all my pages are using this template.
I want to switch to a new template based on a masterpage i will create myself.

What are the steps to ensure that when i will switch my pages to my new template, the content won't be lost?
For instance, will I have to use specific name for the different placeholder IDs?

Thank you,
F.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2011 00:00

Hello F,

You should you specific ID for the content placeholders in your .master page. The id`s must be the id`s of the placeholders you already populated with content. To get them you must go to the database of your project and find dbo.sf_object_data where the placeholder id`s are stored. there is a column place_holder and you will notice the ID`s of your placeholder (TD2D0ACAB001_Col00 and they increment in the order you placed you widgets TD2D0ACAB002_Col00 ...). If you don`t specify your content placeholders with the right id the content will not be lost, but you will not be able to edit it in the backend.
I recommit using Revision history for your pages to be able to revert to previous state if you make a mistake.
Consider making a theme if you want to just change the design of the pages as the theme requires nothing special to apply to the page.

If you have further questions don`t hesitate to ask.

Greetings,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed