How Screwed Am I?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:34

How Screwed Am I?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2011 00:00

I wanted to test the mail settings in my project but haven't yet got any pages that are set up to send mail, so I logged out and hit the "forgot your password" link.

Sadly, the mail never arrived but it appears it also resets you password.

I'm screwed, aren't I?

-- 
Stuart

Hello Stuart,

I feel for you as something similar happened to me but I forgot the exact steps. I am wondering if it would be possible to change the smtpSetting parameters in your App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/SystemConfig.config to something you know will work and then try the Forgot Password again? I hope this helps.

Get this.

I detached the DB and attached a backup from a couple of days ago. Queries the DB and copied the value of the password field for the user from sf_users. Then I reattached the original version, updated the record in the table and ta-daaaa! I'm in.

First thing I did was create another admin user so if I lose access to one account I can get in (I hope) with the other.

-- 
Stuart

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2011 00:00

Yeah I get something like this if I let a session expire which causes another login prompt.  So when I relog in I see the link to kick someone off.

So I kick them off, and next thing I get is a yellow screen of death, and am totally hosed from then on.  I have to do what you do and have a backup admin login so I can pop in as them and manually kick my other user admin user off in the backend settings.

Annoying...telerik has no answer, I have no answer, so I guess the solution is multiple users.

I have once told Telerik that I think the steps of setting up the SMTP for mail resending should be done in the wizzard when setting up your DB an project.

Probably with a skip this step. But retrieving mails is essential.

From your Stuarts experience it would be good if Telerik realy does include this in the setup that there would be a 'send a test mail' button to see if it realy works. Otherwise you get a false security.

Markus

A good idea Markus.

I'm going to add that as a feature suggestion in PITS. If it's accepted, I'll post back here and we'll see if we can raise a bit of support for it.

-- 
Stuart

OK guys.

There's a PITS entry for this issue here.

Go vote. The more votes there are the more likely we are to see it fixed.

-- 
Stuart

@Stuart

How did you get this to appar on PITS did you hack into it, do you have special permission, or have you been such a pain that they do whaterver you want to get you off their back?

It's nice to have this feature but honestly there are some things that are so much more troublesome and not Telerik worth that I hope they postpone this until they fixed other things (Voted anyhow)

Markus

Hi Markus ,

The implementation is currently not scheduled which is also shown on the PITS item. If there are many votes for a new feature ( here we are not talking about bugs) we will consider to raise its priority.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I just raised a suggestion.

And, when they responded, asked that they raise a PITS ticket.

-- 
Stuart

This thread is closed