Further plans with videos, documents and images on hard disk

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 09:41

Further plans with videos, documents and images on hard disk instead database?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Sitefinity-team, 

I read somewhere about the plan to change the default behaviour of Sitefinity in that way, that videos, images and documents are uploaded to the hard disk and not in the database. 

Is there a date, when it will be possible with Sitefinity? 

What are the benefits of storing videos and images in the database? 

Are there plans to extend the search, so it also indexes the content of pdf or word documents? 

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jun-2011 00:00

Dear Erik

As far as I know the save in filesystem is planed for 4.2 if I remember the roadmap correct. 4.2 shout be relased ar the end of July.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Jun-2011 00:00

if they actually store them on the file system and do it correctly then the biggest benefit for videos is that you can actually stream them to mobile devices (assuming they are encoded properly to begin with).

i have created several discussions on here about this and currently iphone/ipad users are out of luck when it comes to streaming videos using sitefinity. this is having them stored the way it is currently - in the database using the video library. i can place the same exact video in a folder on the server manually and use the latest jwplayer javascript and it will load the videos using html5 just fine for iphone/ipad users.

if what you say you heard is a reality i hope they do it right.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello,

As far as I know the save in filesystem is planed for 4.2 if I remember the roadmap correct. 4.2 shout be relased ar the end of July.
@Markus - correct!

@Brandon - 
You are right that streaming is pretty important and one of the biggest advantages of saving files on the File System. Furthermore, IIS can stream files too, so even if our handlers do not provide streaming, you will still be able to link to items on the File System, and the streaming will come from IIS.

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2011 00:00

1. With the latest release of 4.2,  - if the videos are stored in the file system, will the user still be able to take advantage of Sitefinity's Video manager widget?  Will they be handled the same was as stored in a library where you can create a thumbnail, etc?

2. If I make the file storage the default provider for videos, does the user have the option to ALSO store a video in the library?  this might be better used with files, To be able to do both. Not one or the other...

Thank you as always.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Laura,

1. Yes. For the user interface, it doesn't matter where the item is stored. We are using the provider model, and in this case, the File System provider is just another way to get an item and show it on the screen, with the existing interface.

2. We are still associating Video libraries with the files you put on the File System, so yes, it will be possible. You can use both providers and store the items both in database and on the file system.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2011 00:00

What's the status of this and if it's implemented in 4.3, how do we enable having files sent to filesystem instead of disk?

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi,

This feature is now present in Sitefinity. It can be enabled from Settings -> Storage Providers for Libraries.

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed