Google Analytics File Error

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:30

Google Analytics File Error

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jun-2011 00:00

Trying to set up Google Analytics and I see the DashboardPermissions.config file being created in the app_data/sitefinity/configuration folder, but it won't create the AnalysticsConfiguration.config file. I check the permissions on the folder, everything is correct and user has full control, I also tried created the AnalyticsConfiguration.config manually and the still same error.  I can't get pass the Choose an account section "Save Button"

Error log:

Message: Analytics Module: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\web\Sitefinity\branches\SitefinityWebApp_4.1.1395.0\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\AnalyticsConfiguration.config'.
File name: 'C:\web\Sitefinity\branches\SitefinityWebApp_4.1.1395.0\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\AnalyticsConfiguration.config'
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
   at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials, IWebProxy proxy, RequestCachePolicy cachePolicy)
   at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
   at System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings.CreateReader(String inputUri, XmlParserContext inputContext)
   at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext inputContext)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Analytics.Server.Infrastructure.Repositories.GoogleAnalyticsSettingsRepository.GetElementValue(String elementName)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Analytics.Server.Infrastructure.Repositories.GoogleAnalyticsSettingsRepository.GetUsername()
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Analytics.Server.Infrastructure.Services.StartupChecker.PerformApplicationStartupChecklist(Boolean useBackupFiles)

Hello Harry,

Do you have problems with other configurations files? Can you check IIS log in case something blocks the file generated. When you created an account did you get any errors ? If you move the project to another machine can you replicate the issues? What is the case with a new instance of Sitefinity on the same and another machine?

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Ivan, 

I tried several different machines with the same project and each one came back with the same error.  IIS didn't show any errors in it's logs regarding the file creation. I did notice if I create a blank project and give it a try it works fine. 

IIS Log:

2011-06-03 17:34:00 ::1 POST /Sitefinity/Services/Analytics/GoogleAnalytics.svc - 80 admin ::1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64)+AppleWebKit/534.24+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/11.0.696.71+Safari/534.24 200 0 0 8
2011-06-03 17:34:00 ::1 POST /Sitefinity/Services/Analytics/GoogleAnalytics.svc - 80 admin ::1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64)+AppleWebKit/534.24+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/11.0.696.71+Safari/534.24 200 0 0 5

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Harry,

What I see is only a call to the service. If observe the request are there any errors?

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jun-2011 00:00

Ivan, 

Yes, that is all I am seeing too, I see the dashboardPermissions.config file is being created but not the analyst.config file isn't being created.  

I am able to choose an admin user and enter in my Google analytics account information, After I hit next It shows me all of my listed accounts in the dropdown box.  When I hit "Save Settings" from the GUI, it is like the button has not event handler.  No Error messages, doesn't even look like it is even trying to get out.  

I also tried to give the App_Data, and Sitefinity/Services directory Everyone & Anonymous user full rights, but that didn't help either.  

Firewall was turned off also, also machine isn't natted.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Harry,

Ok. Can you turn on service tracer and see whether there are any errors

msdn.microsoft.com/.../ms732023.aspx

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2011 00:00

No Errors to report with the service tracer tool, in my web.config I set the switchvalue to "Critical,Error,Warning" and nothing was created in the log.  When I set the service tracer tool to" Information, ActivityTracing". I can see all of the calls going in/out ~Harry

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Harry,

Here we are not able to replicate this issue. There must be something specific to your environment that breaks the module. What is the case with new installation which runs through the ProjectManager or Visual Studio?

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

Ivan, 

I found the problem with the google analytics file error.  You have to log in as the super user to get the google analytics to work correctly.  Is there a way to add more users as a super users?

If you try it out of the box as the super user it works fine, if you create a new user and give that user administrator rights it still won't work.

~Harry 

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Harry,

Thank you for reporting this issue, we will do our best to resolve the problem as soon as possible. As a workaround our advice is to initially setup the Google Analytics account from your super user.

Please excuse us for the inconvenience and let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Hristo Borisov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Sep-2011 00:00

I'm experiencing the same problem. When I try to configure Analytics in Sitefinity and click the "Save Settings" button in step #3, nothing happens. I'm not sure what you guys mean by "super user"? I'm signed in Sitefinity as an administrator and using a Google Analytics administrator account.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Mike,

By super user you should read the administrative account that was first created when the project was created.
Can you try to use the demo account and see if it will work at your end. User demo Pass demo?

When Analytics is started it tries to write a config file in app_data/sitefinity/configuration. Make sure the folder have write permissions. This issues is resolved in Sitefinity 4.2, the issue here is related to Sitefinity 4.1.1395

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

I'm having the same issue on Sitefinity 4.4.2117.0.  Clicking on the Analytics link it just brings up a "Loading Sitefinity Analytics" screen.

I've read this post and can confirm that both AnalyticsConfiguration.config and  DashboardPermissions.config do not exist and have changed the privildges on the configuration directory so that the Everyone user has full control. It doesn't create this config files. I'm also running as the admin account which is the account I setup initially. This is a new install and new project.

I tried creating a blank config file but just got this error: Message: Analytics Module: System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello,

If the configurations AnalyticsConfiguration.config and DashboardPermissions.config doesn`t exist the Analytics module will not start since the selection of users and analytic user and password are not saved. To better diagnose if the problem is related to writing to the config files, check the App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration folder and see if you are having NewsConfig.config it should not be present if you have no news items crated on the site. Add new custom field for news and four more configuration files for news will be added. If those new config files are added then there is some problem with the analytic module, in this case go to SystemConfig.config
and reinstall the module:

<applicationModules>
        <add version="4.4.2117.0" name="News" />
        <add version="4.4.2117.0" name="Blogs" />
        <add version="4.4.2117.0" name="Events" />
        <add version="4.4.2117.0" name="Libraries" />
        <add version="4.4.2117.0" name="Forms" />
        <add version="4.4.2117.0" name="Lists" />
        <add  name="Analytics" />
remove the version from it and restart the site the version should be added again when the mdoule reinstalls.

If you don`t get the new configuration files then there App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration is write protected, check the permissions over the folder.Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Stanislav,

I added a new custom news field and NewsConfig.config and 4 other files (NewsConfig.ContentViewControls...) where created. I also removed the version number attrinute from the Analytics element in SystemConfig.config.

When I ran the app the SystemConfig.config was updated with the version number so I assume this means the module was re-installed. However, the Analytics page is still stuck loading.

I've attached my Trace.log file. I've given the "Everyone" user full control over the directory so there should not be a security issue writing to the directory.

Hello,

Today I have reviewd the problem on another computer. It is caused by missing AnalyticsConfig and DashboardPermissionsConfig files in App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration folder.
Analytics configuration files are crated by the analytics module which is not like the modules for Sitefinity content (news, blogs...) so if other configurations are creted these will be created by different provider.
I have narrowed down the problem to specific file system permissions on Windows 7 that prevent the config files from being created. On my machine I have no such problem and the files are created all the time. I still haven`t found what is the restriction that is causing this.

A workaround is to get already created config files and put them in App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration to make the module work.

I have uploaded the configuration files.

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Hi Stanislav,

Yes, putting the config files in the the config directory does get me further, however, I then get to the  "Enter Your Google Analytics Information" screen and fill in my details.

Clicking the "Get Analytics Accounts" button causes this exception in the Trace.log file to be generated instantly:

Message: Analytics Module: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Analytics.Server.GoogleAnalyticsPlugin.Requesters.AccountRequester.GetToken(String username, String password)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Analytics.Server.GoogleAnalyticsPlugin.Requesters.AccountRequester.GetAccounts(String username, String password)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Analytics.Server.Infrastructure.Repositories.GoogleAnalyticsSettingsRepository.GetAccountNames(String username, String password)

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

It seems it will not work with the config files created on my project. Can you create a new blank Sitefinity project with the project manager and try to start Analytics. If the same problem occurs then the issue is related to the problem with windows file system permissions that doesn`t allow analytics to create those configuration files.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

Yes, I've tried creating new projects twice and I've installed in on a Windows 2003 server. Still the same problems, so I think you may be on the wrong track regarding the Windows 7 permission.

Thanks,
Stuart

This thread is closed