Custom fields tied specific lists

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:21

Custom fields tied specific lists

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jun-2011 00:00

Is there a way to make custom list item fields available to only specific lists? For example, I have three custom fields for list items: A, B, and C; and I only want to custom field A to be available to List A and not List B. Is that possible? 

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Jon,

That's a tough one, unfortunately we're do not offer such functionality out of the box yet, you can check this forum thread which is related to a similar issue for more information. Please let me know if you have any additional questions, and inform me about the specific use case scenario where you want to implement this, maybe I can try to give you some possible workaround.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2011 00:00

Boyan, thanks for the reply.  Lets say I have two lists created. In list one, I want the user to associate a category with each list item he/she creates. In list two, I want the user to associate the list items with a tag.

What I want to avoid is having a user presented with a choice to select a tag when adding an item to list one as week as seeing an option to select a category in list two. Basically, I'm looking to add custom options to lists that won't be seen when adding items to other lists.

Thanks again!

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Jon,

I see what you mean now, thank you very much for the clarification. In this case you'll need to create a custom selector for categories, where you can filter which categories/tags to display and use it in your custom field. You can find examples on how to create a custom selector here.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Nov-2011 00:00

Are there any techniques to quickly create a module entirely based on the built in list module. It would not need to change, add or remove any of the functionality of the built in list module. The only difference would be that the module would be named something other than lists. It should then be possible able to add new custom fields to the new list based module without effecting any other lists.

Is there a way to this with out any (or minimal) coding?

If the above is not possible, do you know of any code samples that serve as a good starting point for creating new modules with the same functionality as the list module?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello David,

That's a tough one, currently there's no straightforward approach to duplicating a Sitefinity built-in  module. However, we have included a complete sample of a content based module in our Sitefinity SDK (the Products catalog sample) - you can base your new module on it, and it should deliver similar functionality. The good news is that we'll be releasing our Module builder tool - A tool which allows users to create new modules (and hence content types) through user interface, inheriting core CMS features such as workflow, permissions, etc. on demand. It's planned for our December Sitefinity 4.4 release and will allow you to easily create the desired functionality.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed