Exclude a content from the search index in Sitefinity 4.0

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:53

Exclude a content from the search index in Sitefinity 4.0

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello everyone, 

We have a project built in Sitefinity 4.0. We have added a module which displayes information in the backend of the CMS. 

When we try to index the site during indexing the CMS is throwing and error because of this module. 

Is there a way for us to exclude it from the search? 

Could you please help us?

Thanks!

Viktoriya

FYI: This is how the error looks like:

Type : Telerik.OpenAccess.Exceptions.ConfigurationException, Telerik.OpenAccess, Version=2010.3.1125.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342
Message : Cannot find section 'backendconfiguration' with id 'mssqlConfiguration'.
See History property for more details.
Source : Unity_ILEmit_DynamicClasses
ErrorOccurred : ConfigSectionNotFound
History : Resolving connection with id='BootstrapConnection'
Config file=(Database.Get parameter)
Check <openaccess> node
Found connection node with id='BootstrapConnection'
Connection node is not empty
Found backendconfigurationname='mssqlConfiguration'
Resolving backendconfiguration id='mssqlConfiguration'
Checking assembly Petition, Version=2.1.4178.21346, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Backend configuration not resolvable.

Hello Viktoriya,

I suppose that you have a module and control for it that is on a page,  because otherwise  you should have a custom index. You might get error form the crawler when you have a control on a page where

- You have RadScripManager in a custom template
- You have RadStyleSheetManager in a custom template
- You have custom controls that uses page objects and SiteMap
- You use a session objects
- You do not check for null exception and when the crawler makes a request there is a null error.

The solution require to escape these places with the code below

if (this.Page.Items["IsInIndexMode"] == null)

// your logic here.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hello Ivan, 

Thank's for replying so fast! We followed all items from your list. We added your script and our code seems to be compliant. 

When we try to index we get the attached error.

Kind regards,
Viktoriya

Hi Viktoriya,

The only other reason for this error might be some static controls or html elements in your master page or nested pages with the same IDs.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan, 

To follow up with this thread...It turned out that there were more than one problem with our search index... and different errors deriving from them.

Before listing them I need to specify that the project is built on Sitefinity 4.0 as we had a lot of problems when trying to upgrade to 4.1.

So we discovered that:

1. If we wanted to include news items in the search index we must type in the title of the news items if there are special characters in it i.e. apostrophes, dashes etc.

2. The news items summary has a limit of 255 characters. If we typed more than that the indexing didn't work and threw return code=0.

May you guys should have the limit in brackets. For example (255 characters max) or similar...

3. When we tried to use news archive in a page the search indexing didn't work. No solution was found so we decided not to use it. Not ideal.

Maybe some / all of these issues have been addressed in 4.1 and I will sigh with relief when I try it. For now however I thought it would be useful to list them...

Kind regards,
Viktoriya

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Viktoriya,

Thanks for you feedback. We will verify the issues you reported and see how to sort them for Q2 release.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed