Object reference Error while upgrading from 4.1 to 4.1sp1

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:18

Object reference Error while upgrading from 4.1 to 4.1sp1

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello

I am getting a object reference not set to an instance of an object error while upgrading a SF 4.1 site to 4.1SP1.
The error occurs while clicking upgrade in Project Manager and after the error, the project status is changed to corrupted.

Can any one help me with this error?

Thanks
Venkata Koppaka

Hello Venkata,

Can you tell me more about your project setup and the steps you take prior to upgrading the site. Also can you please copy and paste the entry you have in SF 4.1 SP1 Projects.xml file.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Steps I followed -

1. Took backup of the current site (Both Db and website)
  2. Added the project in Project Manager by editing Projects.xml (Earlier it was not in project manager as I was using Visual Studio to do all the development work)
  3. Clicked Upgrade button.

Below is the Projects.xml file -

<projects>
  <project id="7B1508B2-65A0-4524-8BA0-E282AE7143B6" Name="Test" BrowseUrl="Click Browse to resolve" SfVersion="4.1.1339.0" DateCreated="04/26/2011 13:10:18">
    <Location Type="FileSystem" Url="C:\!Projects\Test\trunk\src\net\Test" LocalPath="C:\!Projects\Test\trunk\src\net\Test" />
  </project>
 </projects>

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Venkata,

The procedure seems correct but I will need some more details about your setup in order to clarify the situation.
Can you tell me the following:

1. After you took a backup of your website, did you set it so it was working on your local machine?
2. Are you using Project Manager from your Sitefinity installation or you have downloaded it separately? What is your setup ?

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2011 00:00

1. No, the backup is not restored on my local machine. The backup of database is restored on to one of the servers that I am connected to via a network(internal). And I am able to run the project locally while connecting to that server. -->Should the backup be restored on to the local machine for the upgrade to work?
2. The Project Manager that I am running is downloaded from "Purchased Products" section under my account.I downloaded the Sitefinity Project Manager 4.1 SP1 (zip, 50 MB)  file and unzipped it to get Sitefinity.exe which I am using to upgrade. --> Should the installation package be downloaded?

Thank you
Venkata Koppaka

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Venkata,

You need to place your valid license file alongside the ProjectManager.exe file. Also please try to have all files ( database and codebase ) set on your local machine so the site runs having the local resources provided without the need to establish connection to other servers and run the upgrade again.

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed