RSS and Feedreader

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:28

RSS and Feedreader

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi I've setup an RSS feed from the news module.  When I open this feed in Feedreader I see the email address of the person who created the news item and a bunch of tags.  Is there any way to remove these items and have it look more like the BBC World feed?

Thanks!
Devin

Hello Devin,

Thank you for using our services. You can easily achieve this functionality by going to your RSS Feed setting in Sitefinity backend and change the Feed's DataStructure by adding/deleting the output properties. Please take a look at the sample screenshot I've attached for more details. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Best wishes,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Boyan,
The screenshot didn't work for me can you please attach it again?

Thanks!
Devin

Hi Devin,

Sorry about that, please check this one. Basically what you need to do is go to Administration -> Feeds & Notifications and edit the desired feed. There's a DataStructure button inside the configuration screen that leads you to the options shown on the screenshot. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need any further help achieving the desired functionality.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Boyan,
Now I'm getting an error on my feed that says "The given key was not present in the dictionary."  Can you please help?

Thanks!
Devin

Hello Devin,

I have tried to reproduce the mentioned error, but everything is working properly on the test project I've tested this functionality (build 4.1.1395). Have you tried reverting the settings/trying with a new Feed? Or could it be that you have added a field that's not present in the Feed data source and thus are getting the mentioned error? A screenshot of the setting you have performed would be very useful, also. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Best wishes,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Hi Boyan,
This project is using Sitefinity 4.0.  I would prefer not to upgrade because this site has been in production for several months and I don't want to risk breaking anything.  Can you please test in 4.0?

Thanks!
Devin

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Devin,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have just tested the same functionality in 4.0 (build 4.0.1098) and deleted most of the fields in the Feed's data structure(please find the RSS output attached to this reply). However, the error does not reproduce on my side, could it be that you have included some item that has no default URL in your feed? By the way one thing I might have forgotten to mention, is that you need to restart the application for the setting to apply. The best way to isolate this would be if I ask you for a small favor - can you, please, check if the error reproduces if you create a blank project with the same version of Sitefinity project manager? Also, can you just clarify where do you see the author email displayed, as well as the tags (probably a screenshot or temporary login credentials to your site's backend would be useful) since the default RSS output that we're generating did not contain these when checking the Feed page? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Boyan,
I tried this again and although I'm not getting any error I'm still seeing the owner email and category in Feedreader.  Can you please advise?

Thanks!
Devin

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Devin,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing these problems, have you tried restarting the application once you have set this functionality? What you might also try is to deactivate and then activate again the feed once the application has restarted. The results that I posted to you in my previous reply were achieved only after an application restart. Please try this and let me know if any problems persist. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed