Silverlight

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:15

Silverlight

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jun-2011 00:00

We are currently running version 4.0.5 of Silverlight and have over 150 users who are uploading content into the site.  When these users attempt to upload documents or images, they are asked to upgrade to the newest version of Silverlight.

Currently, most of our users are not local admins on their machines and do not have the rights to add plugins and applications to their computers.  Many are not able to go to the Silverlight site and upgrade.  As a result this is pushed out through group policy to computers.  We also have some other applications that are using Silverlight and go through a testing period with new versions in order to maintain compatibility with that software.

Will Sitefinity always require the newest version of Silverlight?  Any time I need to upgrade it I will have to present a request to our IT Change Control Board to justify it, have our Desktop Managers perform a two-week testing to ensure compatibility with other systems, and then wait for the next update to be pushed to all computers.  By this time, I may be starting the process over again if Sitefinity has released another quarterly update or SP.  Our IT management has told me they would not be open to updating Silverlight more than 1 time per year unless of a security fix, or a major upgrade (such as 4.0.6 to 5)

Is it possible to know in advance if a update will require an update to Silverlight.  If it does I may not be able to install it as soon as I would like, if at all.  This would really create problems if updates must be done sequentially as I could possibly do 3 updates at once, and as a result have to test all areas of my site in three versions at once.  If I just apply all 3 updates without testing and something is messed up...I would have no idea where to start looking for the cause.

Ideally Sitefinity would be able to operate with older versions of Silverlight as well, even if users are prompted to update their version they would have the option not to.

Any ideas from Telerik on how to deal with this?  We will also be turning our 70+ sud-domain sites using Sitefinity, so our number of users could jump as high as 600.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Anthony,

Silverlight controls used at Sitefinity are instantiated with  param "autoupgrade" equal to false and minRuntimeVersion equals to "4.0.50401.0

<object data="data:application/x-silverlight-2," type="application/x-silverlight-2"  width="500" height="500">
            <param name="source" value="blank.xap" />

<param name="onload" value="onSilverlightLoad" />
            <param name="onerror" value="onSilverlightError" />                                    

<param name="minRuntimeVersion" value="4.0.50401.0" />
            <param name="autoUpgrade" value="false" />
        </object>

The autoUpgrade parameter is set to false in order user to have own upgrade experience(in case of minruntimeversion is correct.)

Probably it is good idea to check if this is a browser related setting: 
http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko/archive/2007/07/27/how-silverlight-update-works.aspx

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed