License & Domain Question

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:51

License & Domain Question

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi,
  We have a Standard with Load Balancing license. Our scenario is that we are moving from DotNetNuke(DNN) to Sitefinity one website at a time.

1. Currently we have a site say www.mysite.com , live and being used. We are building a site in Sitefinity to replace this one wth the same domain name.
2. We want to register Sitefinity license to this domain when we go live. Will registering the domain with the license cause any problems to our current live site.
3. The main reason why we want to register the domain with the license before the final go lvie, is that we want to test out the set up (inlcuding load balancing) either in stagining or production by creating a subsite like www.mysite.com/subsite
4. Step 3 is the most intimidating & unknown step to me. 
    If I do create a subdomain i.e. set up the new sitefinity site as as subsite of our current live site, will that work?
    If it does, is it as easy as moving it out and creating a top-level site in IIS when we are ready to go live?
    How do I do it if I want to test out the entire site in staging.
I have gone thru the blog posts of Anton Hristov about using license files, etc but I was hoping to get specifc directions on how to do this.

I am sorry if Iam not being able to clearly put forth my question. Basically I want to test out Sitefinity website with a domain that is currently being used in live and cannot be taken down till we actually go live.

Your insight & help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Soumya

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Sowmya,

There should be no problems with licensing your Sitefinity instance to the existing domain, as this will simply allow your Sitefinity to run on that domain, it should not interfere with the existing website. It is also not a problem at all to install your Sitefinity instance as a sub site in IIS, we have this scenario covered in the second part of this article from our Documentation, please take a look at it and do not hesitate to let us know if you still have any additional questions. I'll be glad to help.
Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi,
  Thanks for responding back. 
  I am now relatively clear on the license question. Thanq.

Regarding the testing the site in production as a subsite to the current live site,
1. Our current live site in in .NET 2.0 framework
2. Sitefintiy site is using or needs .NET 4.0 Framework including the AppPool.

In this scenario I cannot make it a subsite of the live site, is there any workaround for this situation to test?

Thanks,
Soumya

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Sowmya,

Thank you for the additional information. Indeed this is a valid concern, generally, it is not impossible to achieve this functionality, but it is not an easy task either. To get you started I believe you will find this article very useful. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed