MS SQL vs MySQL

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 14:46

MS SQL vs MySQL

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jun-2011 00:00

As of 4.1 SP2 it seems that SF officialyl supports MySQL.

My questions

a) Anyone in the real world already tried MySql
b) Any performance issues to expected if I use MySQL vs MS SQL

I have a new provider option which has MySql but not MS SQL. Using SQL Server Management Studio I connect to my MS SQL databases. How does one work with MySql databases?

Markus

PS: The full feature list is not yet updated to reflect the changes from 4.1 SP 2 - www.sitefinity.com/devnet.aspx
bottom PDF (Downlaod full feature list)

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

I havn't implemented Sitefinity with MySql so this will not answer you question directly, but for some of the PHP work we do (and considering we are mainly a MS shop) we use the MySql Workbench software to manage our databases visually, not the linux way, but hey thats not what we do :) so i am sure that this could be uses as a alternative to Stuide Express when working with MySql.

http://wb.mysql.com/

Rob

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

@Rob

Thanks for the link.

@all others

Still looking for answers for the initial questions.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jul-2011 00:00

Just tried my first installation with a mySQL db. And now have a new support ticket open :-)

Will let you know here what I did wrong as soon as I get the feedback from SF team.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

I see that the team sent a reply to the support request, so if you want you can share it here as well.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jul-2011 00:00

I ran into some  troubles installing it first. Not sure if this post will help any but who knows. For me there a simply to many steps in Teleriks answers.

Quote from my ticket

- ProjectManger create Site
- Upload site to server
- acces site get startup
- enter mysql credentials (mySQL DB was created prior to this all)
- Seems to work fine so far
- Enter admin, name, password.
- Will create .... this might take some time

BANG

- Error . User cicatrix (user of my mySQL db) has more than 'masx_user_connections' http://www.sitefinity.com/ClientsFiles/282425_sf-mysql-1.png
What the heck

Use back button of browser (IE 8 on windows xp pro sp3)

- back to credentials page, lets try it again - sometimes that helps

BANG

- Infinite Loop -> The System is restarting.... Please wait a view seconds. You will be redirected automatically.

http://www.sitefinity.com/ClientsFiles/282426_sf-mysql-2.png

>>> uploading the web.config ended the loop

--------------------------------------------------------------
Anserwer from Telerik

I would like to suggest you a different approach to deploy the MySQL powered website in IIS. I am not sure if it will suit your needs, but you will not encounter set up error.
The error you get ( max_user_connections ) is because the current user has not enough permissions for database connections. As you said you managed to fix that with the reupload of web.config. To be able to set Max Connections for your MySQL user you have to assign it that permission. There is a helpful tool for the purpose MySQL workbench. After installing it you will review your database in the left column and the right column you can manage users( LocalMySQL55). under the security tab ->Users and Priviliges (select user) -> Account Limits -> Max Connections.
My recommended approach to deploying Sitefinity in this case is:
1. Create your project in project manager and select MySQL( open MySQL workbench Under the left column click New Connection which will create a database. Create a user with enough privileges as mentioned above and enter the credential in the Database Connection properties required by Sitefinity)as a database create Sitefinity user and enter the backend.( this is all done locally on your development machine)
2. The Sitefinity project is already functional all tables are created the connection string is in Data.config.
Copy the project folder (ex. MyMySQL project) to some location on the server disc ( C:/MyPorject ).
3. Create a new website in IIS and select root folder C:/MyPorject
4. Go to Application Pools select the pool used by your project and Basic Settings for this Application pool.

• .Net Framework Version: 4.0.30319
  • Manage Pipeline Mode: Integrated
5. Edit the Advanced settings for the Application pool and change Identity: Network Service.
6. Click on the Sitefinity folder in the root of your project and select Browse:(port number)(http).
You will be directed to your backend. The looping System is restarting message should not appear.

I hope this will help you have a successful deployment. Inform me of your progress or if this method is not working for your scenario. I will be glad to assist you further.

This thread is closed