Upgrading To SP3 - Upgrade button disabled in Project Manage

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 04:43

Upgrading To SP3 - Upgrade button disabled in Project Manager

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jul-2011 00:00

I am trying to upgrade to SP3. The upgrade button is disabled in Project Manager and it says my current installation is version 4.1.1574.0 (which I think is the latest version released on Jul 20, 2011). I know that this project is SP1 (it has not even been touched in two months). I never clicked the upgrade button before and certainly nothing has been done manually. I still have the same issues that SP2 and SP3 was to fix. I followed the instructions at http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/installation-and-administration-guide/upgrading-sitefinity-projects.aspx
 to try to perform the upgrade. I also followed http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/installation-and-administration-guide/running-a-project/adding-an-existing-project-to-the-project-manager.aspx to find out how to add my existing project to Project Manager (this is where I discovered the version number). The version says 4.1.1574.0 and the upgrade button is greyed out and unavailable.

Here is a copy my systemconfig.config file. Attached is a screen shot of Project Manager. Any thoughts?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<systemConfig xmlns:config="urn:telerik:sitefinity:configuration" xmlns:type="urn:telerik:sitefinity:configuration:type" config:version="4.1.1574.0" build="1574" previousBuild="1395">
<servicesModules>
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Search" />
</servicesModules>
<applicationModules>
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="News" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Blogs" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Events" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Libraries" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Forms" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Lists" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Analytics" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Scheduling" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Publishing" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="Newsletters" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="GenericContent" />
<add version="4.1.1574.0" name="ControlTemplates" />
</applicationModules>
</systemConfig>

Dont know what I did, but now I get an error on every page saying "Could not find suitable place holder for required control." I cannot find this error message anywhere. The site was working fine before I installed the Project Manager for SP3. 

I tried to compile the site in VS2010 (which I of course never really do), but I am getting a compile error 

Error 26 Could not load type 'SitefinityWebApp.RepairOrphanedControls'. E:\SourceCode\ATR\BLIS\RepairOrphanedControls.aspx 1

The RepairOrphanedControls page does not show up in the browser and the solution I saw posted at http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/kb/sitefinity-4-x/content-is-lost-after-upgrading-to-4-1-or-changing-page-template.aspx is not working. 

Attached is a screenshot. Please help!

Hello Solomon,

The Upgrade button is grayed out because Sitefinity has analyzed your project assemblies and found that your project version is 1574, as showed in the system config. Can share more information about your setup and how did you installed SP3, because you may have overwritten the assemblies which might have led to the automatic upgrade of the website. Regarding the second error - the problem comes from your custom master pages, you have set. Can you tell me if you have nested master pages? Also please can you confirm that the head tag of your master pages looks like this:

<head runat="server">
    <title></title>
    <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="head" runat="server">
    </asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
</head>

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I never upgraded the site. The site had not been touched for months. I was having some issues, so I thought I would update to SP3. Downloaded the SP3 Project Manager (it had no projects in it) and created a new project, pointed it to the existing file system location of my project. 5 seconds later the project was there, but the version had the latest version number and the upgrade was grayed out.

I do have nested master pages. I have a common master page that all other master pages point to. This is in ~/CommonElements/App_Master/CustomBase.master. All the other masterpages are in the ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/UDETC/App_Master folder. Here are some snippets of my master pages. This all worked before I tried to upgrade.

CustomBase.master
<%@ master language="C#" autoeventwireup="true" codefile="CustomBase.Master.cs" inherits="CustomTemplate.CustomBase" %>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "www.w3.org/.../xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="www.w3.org/.../xhtml">
<head id="Head1" runat="server">
<title></title>
<script src="ajax.googleapis.com/.../jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link href="/CommonElements/CSS/common.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="head" runat="server">
</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
</head>
<body>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<div class="content">
<asp:contentplaceholder id="content" runat="server"></asp:contentplaceholder>
</div>
<div class="footer">
</div>
</form>
</body>
</html>

Homepage.master
<%@ master language="C#" autoeventwireup="true" masterpagefile="~/CommonElements/App_Master/CustomBase.master" codefile="Homepage.master.cs" inherits="CustomTemplate.Homepage" %>
<asp:content contentplaceholderid="head" runat="server">
</asp:content>
<asp:content contentplaceholderid="content" runat="server">
Here is some content
</asp:content>

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Solomon,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support.

The problem is that after 4.1, Sitefinity rendering technique has been changed and now it uses the ASP.NET rendering. For example lets assume that you have a Base.master which is inherited by Home.master. So, for the pages to work we have to use:

<asp:ContentID="Content1"ContentPlaceHolderID="head"Runat="Server">
<asp:ContentPlaceHolderrunat="server"ID="head"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
</asp:Content>

This is because for each ContentPlaceHolder in the head tag of the parent master page ( Base.Master in our example ), in every nested Master page that inherits this page, we should have a nested placeholder in the head ContentPlaceholders with ID the same as the parent ContentPlaceHolderID.

So, if we want to create a new Nested MasterPage that inherits Base.Master,we will always have to include the code above.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Aug-2011 00:00

That worked. Thanks.

This thread is closed