Can't create Search Index

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:31

Can't create Search Index

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Aug-2011 00:00

Started a brand new project in 4.2 and when I try to create a new Search Index I get the message 'String was not recognized as a valid DateTime'

This is also happening on an upgraded project.

Anyone else have this problem with Search Indexes ?

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Aug-2011 00:00

I'm not having an issue with the Seach Index but I am with the RSS feeds. I created an RSS feed in 4.1 and then upgraded to 4.2. Went in to make a few changes and couldn't because of the error you mentioned. Deleted the RSS feed and tried to recreate it and get the same error every time now.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2011 00:00

You can take the coding direct from the some search engine. That will help you a lot.

Hello Daryl,

Getting this error 'String was not recognized as a valid DateTime' is caused by the culture your browser or web server uses. If you use a default culture for the browser ( english US, GB) you will not get this error. This is a bug in SItefinity 4.2 which is already addressed. You can try creating the index with IE9 and it should work.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I have tried using IE9 without any success I'm afraid...same issue... really need a workround asap

Hello all,

I need a workaround too. I am using completely standard culture settings in my browser.

Thanks
higgsy

Hi higgsy

Workround that works for me based on advice from Telerik is use FireFox and make sure en-US language is installed .. Tools > Options > Languages. and I made this the default....I then had to reboot my machine for that to take effect and then was able to create a search index...

Although I'm getting confused as to when my pages actually get added to the index... it appears I have to republish them... although that may be something I've mucked up my end...

Hope that helps.

Regards

Daryl

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2011 00:00

Worked for me Daryl, thanks!

OC

Any chance of a genuine solution to this bug? I am using 4.2 and my search index starting throwing this error after an upgrade from 4.1.

Deleted that index, and now can't recreate. Checked language settings everywhere on advice of this forum - en-GB everywhere I can set it. Tried every browser I can (including FireFox), but no luck.

Thanks, T

Hey Thomas,

Did you try switching to en-US instead of en-GB? I had to as well (even though I speak Canadian English).

Hi KMac,

Whereabouts, in IE9?

Haven't tried ie9 myself but switching the language (Tools-->Internet Options-->Languages) in ie8 fixed it for me. Same with Firefox but I can't remember where the settings are in there.

Hi KMac,

Yeah, had tried it here. With en-US and en-GB.

Just cleared the whole lot down and re-added the overarching "EN" language (and ensured that the SiteFinity languages matched that too). And now it seems to be working OK.

Thanks for the advice. SiteFinity 4.2 is fantastic, but it's little things like this (those that need "workarounds") that can make it look a little unpolished sometimes.

Ta again. T

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Aug-2011 00:00

Hey,

I've successfully done this however my results aren't coming back. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi

I'm not sure whether your subsequent problem was the same as mine..  I was finding that my pages were only reindexed after republishing (I didn't personally want to do that to over 800 pages) until I followed the advice below from Telerik :

"What you experience us a known problem with Sitefinity 4.2.1650. Please refer to the solution provided in this KB article. Please do this on a test project or create a backup of your site to avoid problems. Write back if you have more problems."

This obviously may refer to a completely different scenario to yours...

Regards

Daryl

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Aug-2011 00:00

Thanks Daryl for the KB link.
That solved the problem BUT I have another problem, where the index not working well for all static page contents.
The search only works for the content on the Home page and cannot search any content from other subpages (static). It's just not indexing subpage content. I have two templates (Home and SubPg) SubPg template uses breadcrumb control...may be it blocks the search indexing? See attached search result pg img.
Any help plz?

Thanks.

Hello May,

It seems the fix was not well applied at your end. Please follow my instructions on how to make sure it is added. 1.open your project in visual studio
2. Right click references and browse to your project bin folder and find PublishingModuleFixes and add it to the project.
3. Build the project (F6)
4. Reindex and test your search

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Hi Stanislav,

I have attempted to do the same in my folder but for some strange reason it isn't there. Am i missing something?

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for the reply but I've already done all those mentioned previously and double checked and tested as well but still the same results.

The index never pick up content from static pages and only up to left menu items ie. individual page titles only. Is there anything I need to do in order to make the search index the static page body CONTENT as well please?

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello May,

I have tested to search in text that is on the master page and if you select Search static content (which included content blocks and html in body)when you create the search index you will be able to search the body content of the master page.

For search results you will get name of the page, link to it and some of the searched content.

Refer to the previous post to properly apply the fix for search and remember to reindex so all content that you have specified can be searched.

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Hello ,

Im Working with Sitefinity 4.2 ... I have Created Search Index nad it ws workign fine  ... when i Used UserControl in My Project tht time Search Result is not displaying any Result ... Getting 0 Result always ...

Please Help

Thanks & Regards
Anuprita

Hi Anu,

We had a problem with search in build 1450 so in order to get it running please refer to this KB. In previous post you can find instructions if you have difficulties.

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Aug-2011 00:00

Thank you Stanislav,

As I have mentioned before I have applied the fix to REINDEX the search and my search setup is set on Search static content option but AS MENTIONED BEFORE, it only searches from home page and not from the subpage contents.
I have 2 templates, home page uses main template and the rest uses subpage template. I also have usercontrols such as breadcrumbs controls on my subpages. The search NEVER EVER pick up content of the subpages!!

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello All,

I have Followed all the above Steps but still no Success ... Steps are

1 - Default Language set to En-US
2 - Created News In the News Module for both d languages En-US and En-IN
3 - Created Index for NewsItems
4 -  added SearchResult n SearchBox COntrol on Page
5 - added following in SystemConfig.config
     <add title="PublishingSystemFixes" type="PublishingModuleFixes.PublishingSystemExtensionsModule" startupType="OnApplicationStart" version="1.0.0.0" name="PublishingSystemFixes" />

and in folder /bin/PublishingModuleFixes.dll added this dll ...

Still im getting 0 Result

Please Help me ... Im Stuck ... tel me where im getting wrong ...

Thanks & Regards,
Anu.

Hello Anu,

When adding the PublishingModuleFixes.dll in the bin folder please make sure you open the project in visual studio and look trough the references. If you find the PublishingModuleFixes as a reference you have the fix, if you can not find it add reference for this file and build the solution. Then reindex and try to search and see if you will get results.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Hello Admin,

Thanks for the reply ... i have Extracted the folder from the given link and build the given Solution n added PublishingModuleFixes.dll as referance in my Projects Bin folder ...

But still 0 Results

www.sitefinity.com/.../page-re-indexing-issue-in-build-4-2-1650-0.aspx

pls tel me whr im gettng wrong

Thanks & Regards,
Anu.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Anu,

I have listed the steps and I am not sure what might be wrong at your end. You can check if the module is installed by looking at SystemConfig.config

<add title="PublishingSystemFixes" type="PublishingModuleFixes.PublishingSystemExtensionsModule, PublishingModuleFixes" startupType="OnApplicationStart" name="PublishingSystemFixes" />

//This is the configwhen the module is not installed

<add title="PublishingSystemFixes" type="PublishingModuleFixes.PublishingSystemExtensionsModule" startupType="OnApplicationStart" version="1.0.0.0" name="PublishingSystemFixes" />

//this is the config when the module is installed
If you have the module installed and still you don`t get result please open a support ticket and send us the project and a backup of the database so we can look at the problem at our end and try to resolve it.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Stanislav,

Thanks for the Replay :) ... I have added PublishingModuleFixes Project into my Solution n thn i build it n added PublishingModuleFixes.dll as reference into my website  ...

When i click on ReIndex that time 'LoadContentItems' method is getting called in tht
 items = manager.GetItems(contentType, filterExpression, "PublicationDate DESC", 0, contentSettings.MaxItems)
                    .OfType<ILocalizable>()
                    .Where(item => languageFilter(item))
                    .OfType<IContent>();

1 - items always comes 0 ...
2 - ToPublishingPoint() in PagePipeFix Class never get called ...
3 -  what do u mean by 'If you have the module installed ?'  i cant see any module called as 'PublishingSystemFixes' in Sitefinity backend ...

System.config contains

<add title="PublishingSystemFixes" type="PublishingModuleFixes.PublishingSystemExtensionsModule"  startupType="OnApplicationStart" version="1.0.0.0"  name="PublishingSystemFixes" /> 

Is there anything required ?

Thanks & Regards,
Anu.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi Anu,

Can you please  send me the problematic project and a backup of the database or a test project where you experience the search problem so I can review it at my end and be of better help to you. You can send it in a support ticket, upload it to FTP server and provide me credentials or if it is sample project attach it here without telerik assemblies to keep the file size low.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed