Changing MediaPlayerControl MediaContentID

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:14

Changing MediaPlayerControl MediaContentID

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello,

I'm writing a control that provides a video to the user as well as displaying related videos. I'm using the MediaPlayerControl class to display the videos, but I've encountered an issue: If I try to change this object's MediaContentID property in a postback, the MediaPlayerControl will no longer render. I've tried creating the class in the codebehind and the display file, and there doesn't seem to be a difference. I've also made sure that ViewState is enabled as well as the RadScriptManager (and tried turning them both off). I've discovered that a line of JavaScript is emitted on normal page load but does not seem to be on postback, and I think this is the culprit:

Sys.Application.add_init(function()
    $create(Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.UI.Videos.MediaPlayerControl, "_domain":"http://localhost:62643","_silverlightSkin":null,"_silverlightUrl":"/ClientBin/Telerik.Sitefinity.Silverlight.xap","autoPlay":false,"description":null,"height":"","playerContainer":$get("C002_mpcVideo_ctl00_ctl00_silverlightContainer"),"title":null,"url":"/videos/default-video-library/tax-conformity-in-ohio.wmv","width":"", null, null, $get("C002_mpcVideo"));
);

Here's a stripped-down version of the display file:

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="VideoBox.ascx.cs" Inherits="OSCPA.Web.UI.VideoBox" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sfv" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.UI.Videos" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>

<sfv:MediaPlayerControl ID="mpcVideo" runat="server" AutoPlay="false" SetSilverlightContainerVisibility="true" Visible="true" />

And the relevant portion of the codebehind:

public partial class VideoBox : BaseUserControlAdvanced
    public string MediaContentID get; set;

public VideoBox()
        this.MediaContentID = "88d77237-7bd6-4d7c-baaf-a4a3656907d9";

protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e)
            if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(Request.QueryString["NextVideo"]))
                this.MediaContentID = Request.QueryString["NextVideo"];

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        pcVideo.MediaContentId = new Guid(this.MediaContentID);
        mpcVideo.MediaUrl = ((Video)App.WorkWith().Video().GetManager().GetItem(typeof(Video), mpcVideo.MediaContentId)).MediaUrl;

The query string parameter is set by links rendered elsewhere in the control.

I'm out of ideas for why the MediaPlayerControl ceases rendering when a postback occurs (even using the same GUID that works on initial load).

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Jacob,

Can you also pass the media URL to the video control? The media player control is designed to work with the URL directly.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2011 00:00

Yes, I can change the URL as well, but this also has no effect. I have tried changing only the URL, only the GUID, and both. Additionally, if the control is instantiated with a URL but no GUID, it will not load a video.

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Jacob,

The video URL for the media player is passed to the Silverlight media player in the GetScriptDescriptors method of the class, this executes after OnPrerender method. You can create a class which inherits from MediaPlayerControl and override OnPreRender method. From there on you can check if the MediaUrl property is correctly set and passed to the control.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

This thread is closed